Preparing for College: A Breakdown of Your High School Years | Teen Ink

Preparing for College: A Breakdown of Your High School Years MAG

By WillC2021 ELITE, Winfield, West Virginia
WillC2021 ELITE, Winfield, West Virginia

Never give up! Put in the hard work and efforts to achieve your ambitions and goals!

High school is one of the most important parts of an individual’s life. As with any major stage, a good knowledge of all available resources, tips, and opportunities is highly crucial for success. Many eighth grade students enter high school with barely any information concerning how high school functions and what to do during their high school years to prepare effectively for college.

During the months prior to their freshman year, students should be discussing their course selections with their parents, as well as consulting with their assigned high school counselors. A building cannot last without a good foundation; the same can be said of education. Without a careful course selection and meticulous consultation with parents and counselors, any student can become easily lost in a maze of information. Furthermore, freshman year should be taken advantage of to the highest degree. For instance, this is the year to get started on PSAT prep (an exam-based selection for the National Merit Scholarship in the junior year), get to know their counselors, work on discovering their passions, and get into depth with extracurricular activities (sports, band, clubs, volunteering services, etc.).

In the following sophomore year, students should be continuing their PSAT prep — it would be
greatly ideal to get started with standardized test prep in either the SAT or ACT as well. By their sophomore year, most students will have likely adapted to high school life and have let their academic guards down. Working harder does not always equate to corresponding rewards. It is in the students’ best
interests to work smarter at the same time. This is the year to perfect their time management skills in the classroom setting and consider taking a few AP courses that interest them, as a challenge to their intellectual development. Simultaneously, extracurricular activities should not be abandoned but rather pursued wholeheartedly in a few key areas (a couple activities that a student particularly likes or have an aptitude for). By participating in extracurricular activities, students are doing a great favor for themselves by sowing the seeds of potential essay topics for the college application months, as well as providing a window for college admission officers to see who they are as a human being outside of the classroom.

In the penultimate junior year, good habits developed in the previous two years should be carried over intactly. It is advisable for students to become close with their counselor and a few teachers who know them well. After all, if students are applying to colleges, chances are they’re going to require recommendation letters. College admission boards want to know you as a person, not as statistics on a paper. Recommendations are one of the ways that colleges can get to know you on the personal level. As the junior year grinds on, this year may also be when students can finally become the leader in whatever activities they are in. Take advantage of your seniority status; be an impactful, inspiring leader! Furthermore, don’t forget to take the PSAT (usually offered at high schools). Personal preparations should also be made by the junior fall semester for the SAT or ACT. Always register ahead of time for the SAT or ACT for a practice test and study over the areas that you are not proficient in.

Finally: senior year has arrived! Before the school year actually starts, it is recommended that students have already started and finalized their college lists, brainstormed on how to write college application essays (personal statements, supplementary essays, etc.), as well as began the scavenger hunt for scholarships. Usually, students apply to colleges through the Common Application; however, students can wait for state college representatives to come to their school as well. It is essential to keep track of the application deadlines of the colleges that you are applying to, as well as to send in all the correct documents seamlessly. The senior fall semester is especially momentous, so be sure to talk to your counselors concerning the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) and ask for letters of recommendation months prior to the actual application deadline. Let’s face it, teachers are busy, and students need to accommodate their teachers’ schedules. If a teacher hesitates when asked to write a letter, chances are, you should probably find another who can speak positively on your behalf.

When all is set and done, and that acceptance letter comes in, you know that the efforts that you have put in during the past four years will not be in vain! Enjoy this moment and transition the best aspects of high school into college. Another step closer to realizing your ambitions!