2018 Oil Pastel Contest | Teen Ink

2018 Oil Pastel Contest

The deadline for this contest has passed. Please visit our Voting page to vote for your favorite submissions!

Vote Now

Teen Ink is proud to present the 2018 Oil Pastel Contest sponsored by Sakura of America.

This is your chance to express yourself using visual art to show how you would depict modern America using oil pastel products (like the Cray-Pas® Expressionist®, Junior Artist®, and Specialist® Oil Pastels).

Submit your work through www.teenink.com/submit between August 1, 2018 - October 31, 2018 for your chance to win 1 of 10 amazing prizes for yourself. Each finalist will also win a big prize for their Art Teacher!

1. All entrants must be between the ages of 13 to 19 as of August 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018.

2. Submit your artwork through Teen Ink's website and make sure you check the "Modern America Contest" tag. Then post it to your Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter with the following hashtags: #TeenInk #SakuraOfAmerica #ModernAmericaContest

3. All art will be judged by Teen Ink's editors using the following criteria:

- Relevance to the theme: Modern America
Artistic creativity and ability
- The majority of your piece must be done using specified materials: Oil Pastel. We recommend Cray-Pas® - the original oil pastel with an extensive range of color. Using Cray-Pas® oil pastels supports the corporate funding for this contest and many other educational programs. 

4. All submissions must be high quality scanned images or high-resolution photos taken with NO FLASH!

Submissions will begin being accepted on August 1, 2018, and will end at 11:59 pm PDT on October 31, 2018. There is no limit on the number of submissions you can make

Winners will be announced and published online and in print in the December 2018 issue of Teen Ink.

10 Finalists will be chosen by Teen Ink's staff and the 3 Winners will be chosen through online voting. Each winner's art teacher will also be receiving an amazing prize as well! (All of the prizes listed below can be found on Sakura of America's website)

GRAND PRIZE WINNER

1-Year Free Subscription to Teen Ink + the following amazing art supplies from Sakura of America ($475 value):

Koi Watercolors 18 PC Tube Set, Koi Watercolors Studio Sketch Box with 2 Brushes, Koi Coloring Brush Gift Set, Cray-Pas Expressionist 50 PC Set, Permapaque 20 Piece Gift Set, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Black Tile Set, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set, Pigma All Black Set, Pigma Professional Brush 3 PK Black*

The Grand Prize Winner's art teacher will also receive a 1-Year Free Subscription to Teen Ink as well as the following art supplies from Sakura of America ($275 value):

Cray-Pas Junior Artist Colorpack Jumbo, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Apprentice Classroom Pack, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set, Pigma All Black set, Pigma Professional Brush 3 PK Black*

SECOND AND THIRD PLACE WINNERS
1-Year Free Subscription to Teen Ink + the following amazing art supplies from Sakura of America ($350 value):

Koi Watercolors 18 PC Tube Set, Koi Watercolors Field Sketch Box with Brush 36 Colors, Koi Coloring Brush 24 PC Set, Cray-Pas Expressionist 50 PC Set, Permapaque 20 Piece Gift Set, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Black Tile Set, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set, Pigma All Black set, Pigma Professional Brush 3 PK Black*

The 2nd and 3rd Place Winners' art teachers will also receive a 1-Year Free Subscription to Teen Ink as well as the following art supplies from Sakura of America ($200 value):

Cray-Pas Expressionist 36 piece set, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Apprentice Classroom Pack, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set, Pigma All Black set, Pigma Professional Brush 3 PK Black*

HONORABLE MENTIONS
The 7 Honorable Mentions will be receiving a set of amazing art supplies from Sakura of America ($200 value):

Koi Watercolors Field Sketch Box w/ Brush 36 Colors, Koi Coloring Brush 12 PC Set, Cray-Pas Expressionist 50 PC Set, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Black Tile Set, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set, Pigma All Black set, Pigma Professional Brush 3 PK Black*

The 7 Honorable Mentions' art teachers will also receive the following art supplies from Sakura of America ($160 value):

Cray-Pas Expressionist 36 piece set, Sumo Grip Block Eraser B300 Size, Sumo Grip 0.9 mm Pencil, Zentangle Apprentice Classroom Pack, Pigma Micron PN 6 PC Set*

*Sakura of America reserves the right to substitute prizes.

Contest Guidelines

1. No purchase necessary to enter. This contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States. Employees of Teen Ink and Sakura of America and their advertising agencies, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win.  The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.

2. Entries that do not meet the “Entry Rules” as outlined on the website will be disqualified. All entries must be the entrant’s original creation, may not have been published or produced previously and must not infringe any third-party rights. Entries must NOT contain profanity, threats, hate speech, or bullying.

3. Prizes for teachers will be awarded to the teacher identified in the registration process. Homeschool students’ parents will be awarded the teacher prize package. Student prizes will be mailed to teacher/sponsoring teacher/homeschool parent or guardian. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian, who must sign all required documents.  In the event that one teacher has more than one placing student, the teacher will receive only one set of prizes equivalent to the teacher prize package for the highest placing student. All taxes on prizes are the responsibility of the winner. Sakura of America makes no warranties with regard to prizes. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions of prize allowed by winner, but Sakura of America reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal value. Non-cash prize is not redeemable for cash.

4. All entrants release Teen Ink and Sakura of America, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and all others associated with the development and execution of this contest from any and all liability from injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance or use of any prize.

5. Sakura of America and Teen Ink reserves the right to cancel prizes when no reply to teacher notification is received after 30 days or if incorrect contact information is provided on the entry form.

Thank you for voting! Stay tuned for winners to be announced.