As An Older Sister | Teen Ink

As An Older Sister

By Lindseyvang, Sacramento, California
Lindseyvang, Sacramento, California

Author's note:

I was feeling a lot of emotions and was really upset 

As an older sister…

Have you ever wish you can fix a mistake from the pass?. Well I have all the time, but the one Im about to tell you changed me, my actions and where I am today. It was a really hot day of elementary school, me and my friends went over to a teacher class to get some popsicles. As we ran to get the popsicles, I yelled “Ill be first to get blue!”. Yet I was right, I grab the popsicles rip the top with my teeth, and I can taste the cold blueberry popsicles on my tongue. I was feeling great on that day because it was our first basketball tryout too.

I lined up on the blacktop line because practice could start any moment. I was pretty nervous because it was a mix team, I thought I wasn’t enough but I push to be better. As we go up and down the court I feel like the sole of my shoes was melting from the heat. Hot heat hitting my head while my face was a tomato. I can hear the coach behind us, blowing the whistle while we touch each line. But I wasn’t there alone my younger brother Abel was there trying out. So me and him worked really hard throughout practice. 

The next morning, I woke up late for school. I ran to my parents room woke them up saying “Mom! Im late”. I rush to the car grabbing an apple with a PJ sandwich, it was a pretty rough moring but I made it to school the second the bell ringed. I walked to my class feeling embarrassed because I know all eyes will look at me. I took two deep breath before going inside, as I knocked on the door I can feel my heart beat heavier and havier. I speed walked to the my desk and lower my head down to the desk. 

It was already lunch and I ran to the office to see who made it to the basketball team. As I was trying to get in my brother abel came out saying that I made it, I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. I walked out with the brightest smile on my face, I couldn’t wait for practice after school. I day dreamed all day just to wait for that bell to ring to rushing out. But I also hope that everything goes will and I will be able to play my best. 

Class was over and yet I was exited, but I had to pick up my little brother matthew so I ran like I was in track. I waited for him to get out while looking at the time, finally he was out and ran to me to get me a hug. I told him “hurry I got practice so I can’t be late”, so we ran back to my school and I got dressed. I told my brother to sit in the bench where the shades were at. Couple minutes later after doing so drills and we took a break, I look to check where my little brother was at and I see him talking to his friends so I focused back to my coach. Later do you know his friends come up to me saying “my brother has broken his arm”,  I respond  “what really”, while I was in a panic. I ran to the corner of the building and see my brother holding his hands while crying. I took him into the office to call my dad because my mother was busy to pick us up. 

30min later, my brother was in pain and crying in front of the team but I was there sitting there telling him “it okay” to clam him down. I saw my dad pull up and I can see the look in his eyes like he was going to kill me, he walked over to where me and my brother were sitting. At first he thought it was a joke until he touch my brother hand and began to cry again, now he was like a volcano that is about to explode, a minute after the reaction he yelled my in front of the team. He said “why you never pay attention to your brother, your so irresponsible, this what happened when you don’t  to focus on your brother, I have to come all the way from work to deal with more things”. The whole time I was embarrassed and mad at the same time because it wasn’t even my fault, “let go” my father said. I me grabbed and my brother grabbed out things and left practice. 

We went to the car and the whole time my dad was yelling at me and telling me that I should focus more on my brother. I finally have the courage to say “it wasn’t my fault he wanted to go to the park without telling me”, he cut me off saying “I don’t care your the oldest you should have known better, now we have to spend more money”. I was full with anger and sadness, my brother abel try to help me out but my dad just keep cutting us off. So we got home and my brother went to the hospital while I took a showered and stayed in my room the whole day. 

In conclusion this thought me that if your the oldest you will get the blame from the younger. This situation thought me till this day that I am responsible for my actions to the younger, and now looking back it don’t make me that mad because I learned my lesson and I won’t do the same mistake.