Struggles of Trans Teens Applying to College | Teen Ink

Struggles of Trans Teens Applying to College

By ShuaAla BRONZE, New York City, New York
ShuaAla BRONZE, New York City, New York

It's getting closer towards the end of this year, and the college application is now in full swing. Many teens are finding themselves consumed in writing essays, finding scholarships, thinking about what major they want to pursue, and much more. It's not easy, and many individuals struggle with financial worries, as well as worrying about college life- and the big change it brings. 

For some students, they find themselves easily navigating this whole process, but for others, it can be very hard when other outside and internal factories impact the way in which they navigate this new chapter. For instance, many teens who identify as non-binary or transgender struggle with many different things within the college process.

For a lot of genderqueer teenagers, the financial aspect of schooling can be quite scary. It is statistically known that up to 20 to 40 percent of the homeless youth population in the United States is comprised of LGBTQ+ teens, a large amount being trans and nonbinary kids. Many trans youth become homeless or financially unstable after being kicked out. Finding jobs as a trans teen can be hard as well, and acquiring a stable income can be very difficult. Transitioning is also a costly process, and requires a lot of money in order for trans teens to feel happy in their bodies. 

With all of this information, it can be very hard to afford college, especially if a student lives alone and has little to no income. Many trans kids may come from households with low income, which can also negatively affect their chances to pay for college. 

On top of this, enrolling and attending a new school can be completely nerve racking for some transgender teens. Some environments may not feel or be safe for queer youth, and entering a new space with many students can be completely and utterly scary. As much as trans youth want to live their life, it can sometimes feel impossible with the worries of going to school, let alone attending a new one. Many trans teens suffer from gender dysphoria and pay for hormones and gender affirming surgeries, which can intersect into their college life. On top of this, being accepted, making friends, and being respected can feel very grim when attending a new school. 

There are countless worries that trans teens face, and affording and applying to college can be some complex when you are battling your gender identity, unaccepting families, little income, etc. 

As a trans-fem teenager, applying to college definitely has me worrying at times. I am strong, and know that being authentically myself will help me prosper.