Dream Job | Teen Ink

Dream Job

By Megan Wright BRONZE, Mount Orab, Ohio
Megan Wright BRONZE, Mount Orab, Ohio

The sky is the limit! That is unless you make the decision to become an airline pilot. Amazing travel, good pay and benefits, and seeing the world are some of the components for my dream job, and becoming a pilot would offer just that. When children are young they are always told to dream big, and you can do anything you set your mind to, being a pilot and seeing the world is about as big as you can dream! “There are not many jobs that give you the opportunity to be in Los Angeles, Alaska and Chicago all in the same day,” says flight attendant Allison Barthel.

The sad thing is many people think this job is just unrealistic, or a so called “dream job,” however with hard work and dedication we can achieve about anything we set our minds to. Think back to what you wanted to be when you were young, many people would say an astronaut! Or a professional basketball player! Imagine if we all did everything we could to make our dream job a reality. Schooling required to become a pilot at first seems unrealistic and more challenging than most jobs, however in the end would it not be all worth it? I guess that is the question to ask yourself. Ever since my first time flying it was all fascinating to me, how it worked, how we it was even possible. I knew I wanted to somehow be a part of it and that kind of passion is what it takes to truly feel connected and happy with your job. Fifth year engineering student Bruce Hordusky says, “ I recently just got an offer for the job of my dreams, after overcoming so many set backs and failed classes, this is what I worked for and this is what life is about.”

Dreams are what this country was built on, a dream that to some probably seemed crazy. The founding fathers of our country wanted America to be a place of opportunity where anyone could be whatever they wanted to be, If we strongly believe we can do anything we set our minds to and we should take advantage of this by going after our dream jobs. When talking to nursing student, Katy Achtien she says, “Kentucky has one of the best nursing programs in the country, I came here to challenge myself to be the best I could be at what I want to do.” Taking this step takes a lot of courage. There are three steps in achieving your dreams: realizing the dream, making plans to achieve your dream and reaching for the sky!