Living the Dream | Teen Ink

Living the Dream MAG

By Mayra Diaz BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
Mayra Diaz BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois

While the majority of students are worrying about getting into their dream schools and being able to afford them, others worry about a bigger issue. Students brought to this country illegally, who must leave a blank space on applications that ask for their Social Security number, know they will not be accepted regardless of their outstanding grades and extracurricular involvement. However, there may be some hope in the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act).

Of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants residing in the United States (70 percent from Mexico), 2.7 million are children. These young people benefit from the U.S. school system, but only up through high school. Their education often stops there due to a 1996 federal law that prohibits states from offering
in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrants unless the state also offers in-state tuition rates to all U.S. citizens.

The DREAM Act is a massive amnesty program for the millions of illegal immigrants (age 12 to 35) who entered the United States before they are 16. Those who apply for this amnesty can receive conditional, temporary resident status, which can be converted, once earned, to a nonconditional green card (permanent U.S. residency) after six years. These immigrants can then use their newly acquired status to seek green cards for their parents. In this way, it can also provide amnesty for the millions of illegal aliens who brought their children to the United States.

“I don't necessarily live in fear of being deported,” says Juan, a high school junior who was born in Mexico. “For the most part, I live a normal life. Except, now everyone is getting their driver's license, and I can't.”

Juan came to the U.S. with his mother and older brother in 2000 when he was eight. He is just one of millions of students in the nation hoping for the DREAM Act to be passed. While he does not claim to have experienced any overt prejudice in high school, Juan still faces racial stereotypes.

“It bothers me when people joke around and ask me for my green card,” Juan explains. “I laugh, but deep down I know they are offending me for something I have no control over. I was born in Mexico, but my life is here.”

His older brother, who graduated a few years ago, now attends a community college and plans to transfer to a university. Juan hopes to take a similar path. “I have no doubt that I can go to college,” Juan says. “I know it's going to be hard, but as long as I stay in this country, I have a chance.”

The DREAM Act was reintroduced in both chambers of Congress last March by Senators Dick Durbin and Richard Lugar.

“I can only hope that the DREAM Act will pass,” Juan says. “All I want is a good life and a promising future, just like everyone else.”

I believe many people here are just angry because "AMERICANS" barley have jobs left for themselves. Because many bright "illegal" imigrants are taking their jobs.

redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
I wouldn't rely on the bible...

CgWillis GOLD said...
CgWillis GOLD, Racine, Wisconsin

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem. Got that?" --Coach Brevin.

"What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you! I agree completely.  I'm sick and tired of hearing people try and give these illegals the rights that legals have. 

Agree completely, is it really fair that I work consistently to get into the school of my choice but get ousted just because another person of another race applied and was used to reach the quota on that race? I don't think so.

smalltownshorty BRONZE, Amana, Iowa

There is something I don't know
That I am supposed to know.
I don't know what it is I don't know,
And yet am supposed to know,
And I feel I look stupid
If I seem both not to know
And not to know what it is I don't know.

Therefore, I pretend I know it.
This is nerve-wracking
Since I don't know what I must pretend
To know.

Therefore, I pretend to know everything.

I feel you know what I am supposed to know
But you can't tell me what it is
Because you don't know what I don't know
What it is.

You may know what I don't know, but not
That I don't know it.
And I can't tell you. So you will have
To tell me everything.

- R. D. Lang in Knots

I agree 10 times over. We say we are at a point where we don't want racism anymore, but this is still racism. Maybe not in the way it is usualy thought in but it is still the same. The best person should get the spot regardless of his or her race.

smalltownshorty BRONZE, Amana, Iowa

There is something I don't know
That I am supposed to know.
I don't know what it is I don't know,
And yet am supposed to know,
And I feel I look stupid
If I seem both not to know

Therefore, I pretend I know it.
This is nerve-wracking
Since I don't know what I must pretend
To know.

But you can't tell me what it is
What it is.

You may know what I don't know, but not
That I don't know it.
And I can't tell you. So you will have
To tell me everything.

- R. D. Lang in Knots

If they are illegal they are illegal. So no they shouldn't get the benifits unless they go through the citizenship process.

KennedyCG said...
KennedyCG, Rockdale, Texas

Everything is alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

I don't see how it's at all fair that a child should have to suffer the consequences of decisions their parents made. Just saying "the bible says so" doesn't make it right. If a student works hard enough, they should be rewarded, regardless of their nationality.

I agree but what about the say six year old who is up against a illegal for college. THey have the same education same outstanding recommendations same straight As. Who would be picked? THe american. THis is the way it should be. For while these children were smuggled. A child pays for the sins of there fathers. THe bible itself says that. A parent should think of these things an should legalize both themselves an there children.

I do not believe that these illegal citizens should benefit from our school system. THey are taking the opportunity away from an actual citizen. I hurt for these people an am sad for there cause. But I know that when I try to get into college. It is going to be hard for me. FOr in colleges now you have to have a certain ammount from every race. So sya I, a straight A student with tons of volunteer work an great letters of recommendation is put up against a Hispanic student who has straight Bs some volunteer work an a few letters of recomendation yet the college needs one more person of that race. So even though I might be the better candidate she goes ahead of me3. AN while I feel no resentment towards those people I do believe that that is wrong. I have to picked by my talent not where I am from or by my race. I wish these people could complete there education. BUt I do believe they should be legal while doing it.

mexican32 said...
im sorry. i just got really mad reading this is all

Mayra Diaz BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
If you had read the article you would find that it has nothing to do with Hispanics not being able to get into college, but rather about an act that would allow students who are not legal residents of the United States to gain permanent status in this country through education! :]

mexican32 said...
I am the oldest son of illegal immigrants and im goin to one of the best schools in California. Theres actually a lot of latinos there. what do you say to that?

alexs9 said...
The DREAM Act has major support in both houses of congress. It will not only benefit students who are currently working hard on their degrees but the nation as a whole. Because intelligent minds are always horrible things to waste...

marmara33 said...
I don't understand why they must put dreams on hold. I also don't understand why this common sense piece of legislation has not yet been passed. It has wide support and it needs to pass now!

Advocate54 said...
Well said Anja. These bigots that wrap themselves in their definition of "patriotism" are a blasphemy to the real Patriots of this county. Those of us who fight for human and civil rights for all.

SergioT said...
I don't understand what these kids have to do with the legal immigrants. These kids are America's kids, and rules or anything else can't change that. We should be proud of the kids and all these facts and stats people have posted may be true, but there not regarding these dreamers. These kids have to work for that dream. We should give these kids a chance.

anja said...
Isn't it curious that when people choose to spread your particular flavor of hate and misinformation they pick anonymity. If you are so proud of your opinions post under your name. For the record I'm latina , I hold an MS from Hopkins, I'm citizen and I pay over 20 grand in taxes each year. I find people like you who pigheadedly roll in your own ignorance and call it patriotism deeply offensive. And also sad. How small is the world you live in.

kyledeb said...
The DREAM Act is one of the most widely supported pieces of immigration legislation before Congress now. It makes no sense to keep people from the only country they know as their home.

mRNA said...
These kids were taken across the border before they had a say in the matter. Would you really punish a 6 year old for a crime that their parents committed? And since the dream act really only affects people who have been in the us for a a certain number of years, and are now attending college, in a way, these students have been waiting years as well.

Not to mention the fact that the students who would benefit from the dream act would presumably be bright intelligent people since they are attending college. If we've already invested in their high school and elementary education why would we want to send them somewhere else? We should be trying to keep our best and brightest, so that they can help make this country the great place that it is.

Black Saint said...
Mexico's and Latin American's primary economic policy is to send their Uneducated peons and Criminals to the US for Tax payers to support and be the Victims as they rob and slaughter Americans by the 10,s of thousands, Businesses to Exploit and profit from, and for Corrupt Politicians to Pander and Cuddle while ignoring our Constitution against Invasion, The Rule of Law, & their Oath of Office!