Not Just A Waste Of Time | Teen Ink

Not Just A Waste Of Time

Have you ever missed a few hours of sleep because of a tight schedule and homework assignments? For me, the following day is plain misery. The detrimental effects of sleep deprivation go on to show how important sleep is for you, me, and everyone else in this world.

Sleep is a natural state of rest in which people recharge their bodies for the following day. In the general period of seven to nine hours, lots of things go on within the human mind and body. It is simply a necessary activity in life one cannot live without, whether they like it or not. Here is what happens behind the loud snores and sleep-talking:

Sleep can be divided into two distinct categories: Non Rapid eye movement (NREM) and Rapid eye movement (REM)

At the beginning of the sleep process, N1 (the first stage of NREM) is called hypnagogia. This process is approximately 5% of the entire sleep cycle. It is characterized as the transition from wakefulness and alertness to sleep. This stage generally takes around one to five minutes. After the human is unconscious, the body is not at complete rest, slowing down body and brain activity, sometimes causing muscle jerks and brief hallucinations. 

The following process is N2 (the second stage of NREM). This process counts as around 45% of the entire sleep cycle. It can be identified by the gradual drop in one's heart rate and body temperature. This stage is a result of the person slowly transitioning into deeper sleep. At this state of sleep, the brain begins to review memories of the day including facts, data, and procedural information (how to do things). Essentially, our brains are constantly engaged in the process of analyzing and interpreting the information we receive from our surroundings.

The final stage of NREM is N3. This process takes around 25% of the total sleep process and is the deepest part of the sleep cycle. In this stage, human brain frequencies hit rock bottom, with the least amount of brain waves recorded. The body repairs itself by growing new tissue and strengthening bone, muscle, and the immune system. Additionally, it is the period when bed-wetting, sleepwalking, and nightmares commonly occur.

The sleep cycle concludes when REM (Rapid eye movement) occurs. This is the remaining 25% of the total time a person sleeps. During this period, the human brain becomes active while heart rate and blood pressure gradually increase. There are bits of irregular muscle movements and lots of rapid eye movement. This stage repeats a few times and completes the sleep cycle. This last stage is similar to a PC powering up. From complete rest and no power, the fans start spinning while the power rushes through the wires, powering up a freshly charged computer.

With this information, it is evident that sleep provides us with something we all need. Without it, everyone’s brains and bodies will be unable to function to their potential. According to the article, “Teens and Sleep: The Cost of Sleep Deprivation,” states that only 30% of teens sleep at least nine hours a night. This means that the other 70% are sleep-deprived, or lacking an adequate amount of sleep. Sleep deprivation is quite harmful especially towards teens as such age groups undergo dramatic changes and development in their minds and bodies. Furthermore, it states, “. . . can negatively affect a teenager’s mood, ability to think, to react, to regulate their emotions, to learn and to get along with adults.” These effects play a detrimental role in the individual's daily life. Common factors that result in sleep deprivation include tight schedules, hormonal time shifts, and the prolonged use of electronic devices. A busy schedule might reduce the duration of one's sleep but also exhaust them. The natural hormonal shift causes teens to feel tired earlier than other ages. As the years have gone by, the usage of electronics has drastically escalated, exposing the majority of American teens to exposure to lots of unnatural light. This constant exposure to a bright screen mimics the light of day, signaling to the brain that it is time to stay awake. Although a few more hours awake may not seem at all troublesome, its lasting effects on the following day cause sleep deprivation to be such a widespread and ongoing issue in the U.S.

To such a simple problem, there are several strategies backed by research that can help ensure you get enough restful sleep. To start, adjusting your bedtime to an earlier hour can be a simple and effective solution. This may involve reducing the time spent on activities that keep you up later, such as homework or screen time. While these activities are important, prioritizing sleep can have numerous benefits for your overall well-being. Additionally, taking daytime naps can be a helpful way to supplement your sleep schedule. Finally, allowing yourself to sleep in on weekends can provide an opportunity for extra rest, which can lead to higher energy levels and a more relaxed day.

In essence, sleep is a crucial nightly activity for us humans. Insufficient sleep can lead to a never-ending, dreary, and draining cycle. Nevertheless, by being mindful and prioritizing rest, a few additional hours of sleep can transform one's life remarkably.

I am a teenager who personally experienced sleep deprivation. I hoped that someone might find my article and will find this information helpful.