My Inspiration | Teen Ink

My Inspiration

By Sean Tierney BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts
Sean Tierney BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts

“Bzzz, Bzzz, Bzzz,” My annoying alarm clock awakens me to the real world once again. As I fling off the covers, and disrupt my cozy, comfortable slumber, I stare at the dreaded alarm clock as it repeatedly blinks 6:00. Stumbling down the stairs, still half asleep, I hear a slight distinct sizzling noise; mhmm… immediately sensing the smell of a nice greasy, savory delight. Entering the kitchen, my mother is standing there, spatula in hand. “Good morning darling.” “Morning Mom.” Day in and day out my mother seems to do the impossible, taming the hungry beast inside of me. Being the sweetest person I know, going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my school work is done, she is always there for me.

In December of 2010 I received a call that changed my world. “Sean, Where are you? Come home now.” My first thought was just another call to tell me to come home to eat my dinner. As I arrived at my house, my father told me to get into the car, and that we were going to see my mother in the hospital. My mother had been driving home from Stop and Shop and as she passed the local baseball field, Menice Field, she got into an accident. A car went over the yellow line, hit my mother, head on, and the ambulance took her to the hospital. Following the strict orders from the doctor, she was told not to lift anything heavy, or do anything that could possibly strain her neck and back. But of course once home within two hours my mother was back to her old self, cleaning the house like nothing had ever happened. When I asked her why, she had said something that I will never forget, “Things have to get done around here; if I don’t do it, who will?”
I just stopped and stared, like something took me over. There was nothing to say, but when she told me that I knew that I had to go out and do things for myself. No one will hand me anything in life and I learned from her that day I have to be a “go getter” type of person. I can never settle for “enough”, I always want more and go the extra distance. Whether that be excelling in my school work, participating in sports or working up the “chain of command” at my workplace, I cannot quit, because if I do not do it, who will? As I am approaching the last few months of high school, the buzz that reappears over and over again like the alarm clock is “What’s next?” That next step is college, where I can apply myself to academics and sports, and prepare to achieve my ultimate goal, being in the FBI. I will push and push to achieve my goal because if I do not protect our country, who will?