Black Stool | Teen Ink

Black Stool MAG

By Colton Walworth BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Colton Walworth BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

A black stool, as black as the night sky, stood alone. There was nothing special about it that anyone could see. It was simply a cheap black stool, but it was not ordinary to me. To me it symbolized something special in my life: time spent with my brother.

Our family purchased the infamous black stool because my brother told my parents that he must have an electric piano. And he needed something to sit on while he played. True to my brother’s nature, he rarely played the must-have item. And the black stool sat there reminding us of the impulsive purchase. No one ever went near it. That is until the day my parents purchased computers for my brother and me.

When, out of the blue, my father decided to buy us computers, I knew the people in the next town must have heard me yelling with joy. Of course my older brother got a much nicer and faster computer. He was even given a new computer chair with wheels. I, on the other hand, did not get the executive chair. “Use the piano stool,” my father said. With my lip sticking out a mile, I went to the basement to get the filthy old stool.

In the weeks that followed, that stool became my favorite item in the playroom. After school I would run into our house like a madman to use my computer. My brother and I would play the same video game. Having a ball, we loved our time together. For the first time, I felt like I really connected with him. Previously I had only seen him at dinner. Now we shared adventures on the computer.

On that stool I have learned many life lessons. I learned to deal with sorrow and anger. From time to time my brother would get depressed, thinking no one loved him. But I was there, on that stool, loving him and helping him get through those dark emotions.

Because of that stool and a pair of computers, I gained a best friend. This ordinary object will always remind me of that special time I shared with my brother.

AshtonWoods said...
What kind of comment is that? At least post something that is constructive or an opinion on the essay. Personally, I found the essay enjoyable but I think the writer should ellaborate more on the problems you and your brother faced. 

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I was interested and kept interested from start to end. Great article and a very inspirational story. Good job!

WindDancer GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

"It's time to start living the life you've imagined"
- Henry James

"I read to escape, I write to confront."

This is really good! Very interesting, just make sure your sentences flow and all the grammar is correct. Best wishes and keep writing.

PJ-ONE said...
PJ-ONE, Freeport, Maine
I liked the story and how I can relate to you. The title caught my attention, and I'm glad I decided to give this story a read.

Interesting topic, may want to re-work the title. 

zomg said...
lolwut????????

emma.b said...
emma.b, Fort Kent, Maine

Succcess is not a result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.

I loved the beginning, it was very strong.

Dynasty GOLD said...
Dynasty GOLD, Rio Grande, Ohio
i like this its very original and it represents how important family time is

CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

I love this piece, it was creative and inspiring!

this was good the title kinda caught me off guard to

Alexis Cowan BRONZE, Oxford, New Jersey
very nice, but the title caught me a little off guard.

seeing as I'm interested in studying medicine, black stool took on a whole new meaning..

genesis0123 said...
so what?

did you get accepted?

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
Your essay is very good.