Literature is Life | Teen Ink

Literature is Life

By Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble

Literature is a skeleton key that can open every door in the universe. It makes everything possible in both your imagination and in the real world. A well-written story can transport you to a new place and make you see your surroundings in a new light. A well-composed speech can transform an unjust system into a fair, equal society and inspire you to make a difference. A well-worded song can soothe your soul and motivate you through the obstacles life throws at you.

As a writer in the modern world, I know others have felt a deep connection with pieces I’ve written, no matter where in the world they are or what their circumstances happen to be. Maybe my poems struck a chord in their heart or my stories made them realize what the world could be in the future. A diverse international community of readers and writers watched me grow as an individual and helped me improve as a writer. If I’m ever in need, close friends and foreign acquaintances show me what I can fix in my creations and motivate me through bouts of doubt and uncertainty.

I often find myself lost in the creations of amateurs and professionals alike, eagerly exploring the concepts and worlds they have conceived and imagining them in my own way. This phenomenon is most spectacular for me when I am the one spilling fictitious truths and staggering realities onto paper. I become one with the pen and paper, delving into ideas unique to me and transforming them into shared experiences. Abstract ideas and magnificent stories become concise revelations and exhilarating experiences. Time becomes imaginary as ideas placed on my paper transition into an immersive, temporary reality. Hours become minutes as my notebook diminishes, endless empty pages becoming integral pieces of my own history.

With this ability, I am excited to experience a life full of opportunities. I know that literature fuels society. What would the world be without slogans and essays and signs? Whether I’ll find myself writing stories, articles, or even simple reports, I will always be able to add my own creative flair and keep it interesting. My future is still unwritten. Will I own a small bookshop in the prairies and be heavily involved with local culture and literature? Will I share my knowledge as a teacher or professor in a global metropolis? Or will I be a philanthropist, bringing foreign aid to struggling nations while spreading awareness? Throughout the next few chapters of my life, I can easily go anywhere. Wherever I go, I know that my passion for writing is the gateway to success in any field.

This is my personal essay for applications, and it's about something I'm really passionate about. I hope I'm allowed to post it online. I hope my excitement for this topic is felt by the reader, too.

I didn't get accepted to the uni I was applying for XD