Beyond the Boundary: Cricket’s Hold on Pakistan | Teen Ink

Beyond the Boundary: Cricket’s Hold on Pakistan

By SalmanHaider BRONZE, Lahore, Other
SalmanHaider BRONZE, Lahore, Other

Cricket has been a part of the region since before Pakistan’s independence. Introduced to the subcontinent by British colonizers, this sport was initially played by British officials and expatriates. However, it gradually started to gain popularity among the local population and has maintained its popularity ever since, being watched religiously in countries like Pakistan and India.

Cricket plays a major part in Pakistan’s diplomatic policy. Tours by international cricket teams, such as England and Australia, have helped foster better relations with the respective countries. Conversely, the 2009 terror attack on Sri Lanka’s cricket team in Lahore severely hampered Pakistan’s reputation, not just in the cricket world but in the international community as well.

Governments in Pakistan have historically been known for interfering in Pakistani cricket. During the military rule of General Zia-ul-Haq in the 1980s, cricket was used as a tool for diplomacy, especially in fostering better relations with India through cricket diplomacy. The Pakistani government has been directly involved in the administration of cricket in the country, often appointing key officials within the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). One notable example is the appointment of Mohsin Naqvi as PCB chairman. Naqvi, who had just served as the interim chief minister of Punjab, faced heavy backlash for his appointment as PCB chairman due to his complete lack of experience and know-how in cricketing affairs—yet another example of political interference in the PCB. Naqvi’s appointment, like many others, was seen as a political move, reflecting the broader trend of governmental influence over the PCB.

Cricket is more than a sport in Pakistan; it’s a source of national identity. Although Pakistan has not won much on the big stage, major victories, such as the 1992 Cricket World Cup win, have become defining moments in Pakistan’s history, fostering a sense of pride and unity among the populace. The sport’s prominence helps project a positive image of Pakistan on the global stage, countering negative stereotypes and providing moments of collective national joy. Cricket is a source of nationalism among many Pakistanis; matches against arch-rival India often break viewership records. During major tournaments, even the busiest streets and markets come to a standstill as people gather to watch the matches.

Cricketers in Pakistan are idolized and are considered immortal in many parts of the country, with their fame and fan-following. Cricketers in Pakistan often turn to politics and media after their retirement, the most notable of whom may be the ex-World Cup-winning captain turned Prime Minister, Imran Khan. Khan led Pakistan to their first World Cup triumph in 1992. As captain, Khan took all the headlines for Pakistan’s victory and, in the events that followed, became a worldwide sensation. Fast forward twenty years, and Khan, having already served as Prime Minister, is now at the head of a massive opposition against the current regime in Pakistan—and his journey is far from over.

Cricket’s economic impact in Pakistan cannot be understated. The creation of the T20 cricket league, the Pakistan Super League (PSL), has performed wonders for the country. Although it faced a huge setback initially due to terrorism problems in the country, which led to the first editions of the league being held exclusively in the UAE, the PSL is now up and running. A recent study by the PCB shows that the PSL has contributed over $100 million to the country’s economy. PSL matches are not only broadcast locally but internationally as well, providing crucial exposure to international brands, as highlighted by the Pakistan cricket team's recent partnership with Pepsi. The league may have forever changed the landscape of Pakistan; along with attracting players from around the globe, it has also increased tourism in the country, which has boosted employment and played a crucial part in improving Pakistan’s image around the world.

It would not be hyperbole to state that cricket has shaped Pakistan today and may continue to do so for decades to come as it continues to captivate fans all around the country.

My name is Salman Haider and I am a student from Lahore. This article aims to analyse the profound impact cricket has had on Pakistan, tracing its origins from the British colonial era to its current status as a national pastime. It explores cricket’s role in diplomacy, government interference, national identity, and economic development, highlighting key moments and figures that have shaped its significance in Pakistani society.