I Will Forever Draw | Teen Ink

I Will Forever Draw

January 25, 2011
By Animefairy GOLD, Deep River, Connecticut
Animefairy GOLD, Deep River, Connecticut
18 articles 1 photo 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality." -Walt Disney


Every Christmas that I can remember, I asked for and received an art kit. Supplied with crayons, color pencils, markers, and watercolors, I had the magic to unleash my inner child’s imagination. I habitually drew Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Digimon, and created my own characters. Moving up through elementary school, I generally was found drawing and excelled my skills in drawing that my teachers would unbelievably say, “Did you really draw this?” or “Wow, that is amazing, you’re very talented.” I felt I was a rising artist.

When I finally arrived in middle school, I found the inspiration that would inspire me for a life time. Anime and manga was my utmost discovery. Anime is Japanese animation and cartoons that are known for its large eye style. Manga is Japanese comics that are read from right to left. Suddenly, I came to realize that I had loved anime longer then I had ever acknowledged. The characters that I had drawn when I was a child were anime all along. I commenced to draw a lot of characters from mangas and I illustrated many of my own unique figures with an anime approach. Furthermore, I began to read multiple series of manga that transported me to uncover novel ideas. From science fiction to romance and comedy, there is a manga for everyone. I can watch anime on Youtube for hours. My favorite animes are Cardcaptor Sakura and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I like to say, “Anime is my anti-drug.” I am addicted.

When high school’s welcoming doors opened, I knew at the end of the four year journey, I would have to commit to who or what I wanted to be. Before entering the threshold of high school, I didn’t have an inkling, I knew, what my career field would be. I eternally dreamed of being a cartoonist. At Valley Regional High School, they offered graphic arts. This elective is art and technology combined; they permitted me to grow my passion. I learned design, filming, editing, and programs like Adobe Photoshop and Flash. I had the skills to advance myself in graphic arts that I never knew existed. I had the power to bring my art to life. It unlocked a new world to me. Along side with all the chaos in a digital universe, I still returned home to anime. Anime and manga assisted me to boost my creativity level. Primarily, ideas that I brought to the table were seeded by an anime, but later I learned not to lean on anime as a crutch for inspiration. I was capable of generating original ideas on my own.

When I look back at my past, anime appeared to be there and will always be. Anime is my everlastingly muse. Anime was there when I was young and encouraged me to draw, anime was there when I needed inspiration, and anime is more then a hobby, but a passion. I see a zealous and animated future ahead. The flow of time may have changed me, but some things will always remain. I will find myself someday creating worldly known characters. I will find my way to dream a never-ending dream of being a cartoonist. I will forever draw.


The author's comments:
This was an English assignment