A Painless World | Teen Ink

A Painless World

November 4, 2007
By Anonymous

As the health program continued on the television, describing the start of medicine developments starting from the traditional Chinese herbs, an excited tinge passed through my body. This feeling has remained ever since my trip to the future. The health care systems 100 years into the future were miraculous and unbelievable. The universal medicines that could cure hundreds of diseases were shocking. The techniques developed allowed life for millions of people. Their lives were perfect, with advanced cures and the cloning system, leaving only one threat to them--UV disease. All the thoughts overwhelmed me, leading me back to my journey through time.

Inside the pharmacy lay rows and rows of the same kind of medicine. There were only a few varieties. They were the “universal medicine” that were developed a few decades ago. One kind of universal medicine could cure close to 100 related diseases—the cures for multiple diseases were combined into merely one pill. It could cure any illnesses that do not require surgeries, whether on the respiratory system, the digestive system, nasal, or any other parts of a body. It was available anywhere. Stacks of universal medicines could be found in people’s houses. The cause of the popularity was the convenience. The instructions were very straight forward and not recondite; just take the pill if your disease is listed on the box. The development of the universal medicine minimized the possible reasons for going to the hospital, resulting in the lower need of doctors. Not only did the medicine advance; the techniques used in medical care were like fantasies that came out of a Sci-Fi film.

Lots of techniques were developed in the future, but only three stood out to me. One of them was the freezing technique. In any accident, an ambulance with a freezing machine would be arranged. It would freeze the badly injured patients to stop any further development of the wounds. When they reached the hospital, the patient would be unfrozen and doctors would start performing surgery or giving treatments. During the surgeries, another technique could be used. It was the “robotic technique”. Doctors would use robots during microsurgeries, which meant connecting small blood vessels or nerves to reattach body parts. The risk would be reduced to less than 1%. Finally, during any surgery, pain killers would be needed for certain. Painkillers have evolved over the century. In 2106, doctors inject cells that prevent the proteins in the body from detecting pain. With all the authentic developments, the people enjoyed long and painless lives.

A normal person could live to at least 90 years old in 2106 because of advanced cures for diseases. A wealthy person could actually extend his or her life, though. By cloning, a person could live for as long as possible. But even though people found ways to elongate their lives, some diseases could never be cured by simply replacing a few organs or by cloning.

Some recently developed diseases that were cureless were all caused by the strong UV rays, pollution, and water contamination. Because the ozone was badly damaged, UV rays became a great fear to all people. A person who caught the recently developed disease would be pronounced dead. Even though the cures for cancer and HIV were found, new diseases replaced them. But whether or not the new diseases were deadly, the improved developments stood a greater factor than anything else.

The methods that seem impossible in 2006 were common in 2106. Any sicknesses could be cured instantaneously by merely one kind of medicine. Injuries could be frozen as easily as water could be, and robots that performed surgeries and cells that made everything painless seem like miracles. Even the average age lived became almost 15 years more! The only ways to die would be by the newly developed diseases or by becoming too old. With all the impossible technologies, a question came to my mind. Did the methods we use in 2006 seem impossible in 1906? If that was true, then what were the new techniques? That was something to look upon.