Leaving Home | Teen Ink

Leaving Home MAG

After years of waiting, I finally found the opportunity to live out my adventure. My brand-new tent, a welcome-home present after my summer away, tempted me at every glimpse of its shiny box. Color pictures of tranquil lakeside campsites adorned the package, advertising the fun and excitement certain to come. I was determined to go camping. Even in the Girl Scouts, day trips to the local campground were the closest I had come to actual camping. Now I had my very own purple and grey tent, and I couldn't wait to use it for the first time.

My dad and I set down the ground cloth in a flat area and inspected the mysterious stakes and rods which would support my new shelter. Within fifteen minutes we actually created something which looked surprisingly similar to the picture on the box. I gathered my essential items, (including a walkman, cellular phone, and the ever-important chocolate bar) and placed them in my new home for the night. My mom reminded me I did not have to go through with this, but I knew I did. I had to prove it to myself.

I entered my new tent and for the first time had feelings of apprehension. This was something I had wanted for so long, and I was angry at myself for being scared. As I attempted to sleep, I suddenly discovered that the "night noises" were louder than I thought they would be. I never thought it would be quite so dark, either. The dim light of the moon behind the clouds produced an eerie glow, which made a chill run down my spine.

Somehow, I was able to sleep through the night. When I woke the next morning to find that the clouds had cleared and the full summer sun was once again shining, I let out a sigh of relief. I had survived the night! Maybe next time I'll make it out of the backyard. -