Watching Prosody | Teen Ink

Watching Prosody

By Echinacea8 GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
Echinacea8 GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Somebody said that it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied that maybe it couldn't [and maybe it shouldn't], but he wouldn't be the one to say so until he tired" - Edgar Albert Guest

The people leap up the steps into my neighbor’s house. Candles are lit in each window up and down the street and the world is dormant. Did they see me? My body is the same mass of dark light and bright shadows as the rest of the night and, as I perch on my car hood, the only indication of my existence is the obtrusive backlight of my laptop.

It is 10 pm and I sit watching the world.

[The click of a door knob. The sighing of heating units. The ceiling above me which lacks stars...]

It is times like these when I write, where there are no distractions impeding the mental clarity necessary to put the mind on the page. I set my fingers to the keyboard and simply record what I see –

The world is sleeping,

humanity hides its face

while the pale concrete houses

trap in light.

Stave off darkness.

It is here that nature unfurls herself

Revealing her dark green glory…

I am an observer. A truth seeker, who catalogues what she knows and then with a writer’s ruthless word count capture it. I used to be afraid of questioning life due to its enigmatic answers – I shouldn’t have. I believe answers exist, that one can explain living. For there is such a resonance when one finds the perfect expression to describe an object, it can’t be anything but true. And as long as I sit and watch, I’ll find it.

I am a writer. And I seek to understand.

This is a recent college essay I wrote for a common app. supplement. For some perspective, the prompt was to "use the richness of your identity to shape your personal outlook." Hope you enjoy, and any feedback would be really appreciated.

MaryEllenCags SILVER, Fanwood, New Jersey

"I'm not an arsonist. But I am a pyromaniac." -Kieth Richards, Life

Bravo! This is very different from most essays. It's not about how not making a sports team shaped you into a better person. You don't reference high school once, and personally that's what I find so attractive about it. And you are definately a writer, truth seeker, and all the rest. There are a few grammatical errors but other than that its flawless and sets you appart from others. I love it, I love it, I love it.