Twins | Teen Ink

Twins MAG

January 2, 2008
By Anonymous

“Wait, you two are twins?”

I usually answer with a quick “yes,” wondering if it’s really such a hard idea to grasp. There used to be a time when everyone knew who the twins were. The coordinated outfits gave us away. Then it seemed as though everyone referred to us as “the twins.”

It wasn’t easy constantly being compared to each other. I have long blond hair and blue eyes, while Chris is my polar opposite, with dark hair and brown eyes. I talk a lot and Chris mostly keeps to himself.

The day we entered junior high was the chance we had been waiting for – few people knew we were twins. Some teachers didn’t even realize until Open House. Many of the teachers told our mom, “They act like they hardly know each other.”

Chris and I began to develop different interests. I proved to be an extrovert who loved being around people; Chris had a small group of friends with whom he happily interacted. I obsessed over designer labels (I’m glad that phase is over). Chris refused to wear anything that even hinted at where it was from; any tag or label had to be removed. Although we worked together on some homework, Chris excelled in the arts while I performed much better in front of a textbook.

Many people lose their individuality being a twin. However, I feel that it has helped me discover myself. It has motivated me to be my own person and develop my own hobbies and interests because I want others to see us as different, unique people. Sometimes, I forget that my brother is actually my twin – until it’s time to blow out our birthday candles or we run into someone at the supermarket who exclaims, “Oh my gosh, are these the twins?” It’s clear that we are going to take very different directions in our lives. Chris flies by the seat of his pants, while I like to be organized.

Eleanor Roosevelt said, “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” Individuality is one of the most important principles that one should strive to achieve. Surrounded by materialistic things, the average person is tempted to look like everyone else, have the same interests, and behave in the same manner. I feel fortunate to have found my individuality early in life.