Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

First day of kindergarten, crying toddlers everywhere begging for their parents to never leave their side, stressed out teachers trying to please everybody, trails of goldfish crumbs are found in every corner, and all you can do is hope for the best.

Well as I look back on this first day of kindergarten, I realize that it was one of the most important days of my life, this is because it was the day of my first piano lesson, the one I had the choice to attend.

After one of the longest days ever, I finally get into my car and leave Washington Charter School. I was quiet on the way home, I felt tired from crying so much, I was quite the wimp in elementary school. Well, it so happens that as soon as I get home, my mom announces she has a “surprise” for me. I eagerly asked her what it was, only to find that it was in fact my first, ever, piano lesson.

Unfortunately, when I found out that I was going to have a piano lesson, I was in a horrible mood, and really, really didn’t want to go. I begged my mom to let me stay at home, I cried even more, which got me a massive headache. I kicked, screamed, did everything I could to get out of that lesson, luckily, my mom would not change her mind, and was determined to get me to that lesson.

Although I made the choice to take piano lessons the previous month, I had no idea it would be the very first day of school, not to mention unannounced until the day of. I decided this when I attended a piano recital with my mom. At this recital 14 people played, from the ages of 7-17. They all played classical pieces, of a very high difficultly level compared to their age, but they all played easily as if it was a piece of cake. I was immediately mesmerized by their ability to perform with such easy, and afterwards asked my mom to sign me up for lessons.

Ever since that day, piano has been a hobby of mine, also a social tool, and a “getaway” when I feel like I need a break. It was definitely the best, and one of the most significant choices I have ever made.