The Personal Story of "Cary Krell" | Teen Ink

The Personal Story of "Cary Krell"

February 13, 2008
By Anonymous

The personal story of “Cary Krell” from www.graceproducts.com/fmnc/main.htm
Forget Me Not Card is about this child of the Holocaust which has been though difficulty to survive until the end she has died. She was one of 1.5 million Jewish children murdered by the Germans and their collaborators in the Holocaust. After I read this, I felt really sad for what she has been though but still died from weakness.


Cary Krell is born in January 27, 1936 at Vienna, Austria. She was the daughter of Diana (Rosenzweig) and Willi Krell. The father was the managing director of knitting factory. In April 1938, after Germany annexed Austria, the father moved the family back to Poland (where her parents were born).There he had been offered a job as a bookkeeper in town of Boryslaw to help the family. When they invaded the places they would have to move again so Cary’s father worked in the Jewish administration in Boryslaw. He and his family were deported with the last Jews of the town in the summer of 1944. They were transported to the Plaszow concentration camp. October 15, 1944, Cary and her parents were shipped to the Gross-Rosen concentration camp. At that place, her mother was taken away and sent to Auschwitz where she was immediately murdered. Mr. Krell smuggled Cary into the men's barracks dressed as a boy. She would stand in roll-call every morning with her father even when they were sent later somewhere, then one day a boy noticed she had odd ways of going bathroom and revealed her secret. When she was separated, she got sent to women’s barracks. The father would join every work he could to pass by her barracks and check for her. There were little food because of the season and horrible bacteria/germs spread disease everywhere. She weakened by hunger, died of typhus (acute, infectious disease caused by several species of Rickettsia, transmitted by lice and fleas, and characterized by acute prostration, headache, and a peculiar eruption of reddish spots on the body also called typhus fever) on January 16, 1945, a few weeks before her 19th birthday and liberation.


After I read about her own personal story, I felt sad
and lucky that I still got a family who loves me and would
support me though hard times. Cary had to be alone at times
where she would have no feel comfort and missing her
parents. I think that the Holocaust has to be the time where
people would just be separated and maybe not see each other
again like wars and battles here and the past.