I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

March 10, 2008
By Anonymous

As a community recognized for the notorious serial killer BTK (Bind Torture Kill) with almost 3000 reports of assault, and nearly 14,000 cases of larceny in 2006, at first glance, Wichita continuously struggles against immorality and crime. But close examination reveals the kinship, consideration, and true convictions of genuine individuals that manifest themselves in every neighborhood. After living in this community for over eight years, I’m convinced that well-intentioned people appear in all divisions of Wichita, despite its initial negative impression. My personal experiences with a few of the kind-hearted individuals have shaped my outlook on life. I believe in the compassion innate within humanity.

The ability to observe ill-intentions proves not only universal, but also useless. The ability to consistently seek out care, peace, and affection is a talent bestowed upon all individuals, but only utilized by a select few. I believe that by closely scrutinizing our surroundings in the home, local community, and international population, hopes for peace will always be evident. My personal encounters with society members reinforce this belief. One of my encounters occurred last year when I witnessed an elderly woman fall in the middle of the sidewalk. Several onlookers immediately sprung to her aid, all offering her a shoulder to lean on and a helping hand. Another instance took place last month when my car battery died in front of a restaurant. Feeling stranded and frustrated, I asked a friend to come help. Nearly instantaneously, five people, one of whom was a complete stranger, dropped their Friday night plans to rescue me. The last memorable example happened just last week when, after a brutal winter storm, my neighbors, witnessing my fruitless attempts to free my frozen car from my driveway, selflessly grabbed their shovels, gloves, and scarves, to lend a hand. I believe that these anecdotes epitomize the instinctive nature of human’s to care for others. Humanity possesses a kind heart: individuals will face personal suffering for the well-being of others. The Dalai Lama once said, ““Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.” I believe that humans exemplify the truth of his words in every aspect of their lives.

My positive experiences with humanity’s care for one another continue to mold my outlook on life. I consistently search for the good in all people because I believe that everyone has something positive to offer. I strive to spread hope in the population by reflecting my personal optimism, even in the most hopeless situations. My life vocational goals, which include working for a non-profit organization to relieve humanitarian crises or medically assisting patients in need, stem from my desire to promote and spread peace. I hope to become a positive member of society, optimistically influencing the lives of others. While negativity is often magnified in communities, as apparent through my home town’s initial negative reputation, truth, compassion, and sincerity can always be sought out and will always prevail as an inherent characteristic of mankind. This I believe.