College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

December 11, 2013
By Lyssa Yehle BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lyssa Yehle BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The girl’s number doesn’t have the same energy as the guy’s.” Our director Scott told me, the dance captain, “fix it.”

I knew I couldn’t leave this rehearsal until I could watch the girls perform with high energy and excitement. I’d worked them hard already cleaning the dance steps and formations. But they were tired and bored. What will they respond to best? How can I get them to see what they’re doing wrong? I watched them perform the song for the fourth time. I knew then, I needed to think of something innovative and fun to get them energized.

They needed to see what I was seeing. So I recorded their run through, and had them huddle close together to watch themselves on my small Iphone screen. I could tell, I was getting through to them.

“Wow, we literally look like statues. Our faces are completely blank,” Jenna said after watching the video.

“Exactly! Now, do it again. Overact, and change what you think needed to be fixed. Places,” I said, excited I was finally getting somewhere.

They ran through it again. It was better. It was still not performance ready, though, and I was not about to settle. They just need to have fun with it, I thought.

“Alright, we’re gonna play a game. If I see you doing good acting, I will call your name and you get to come out and pick the next person who you think is doing the best acting. You don’t want to be the last one out there, do you? Let’s see some energy!” I pumped them up. I made jokes telling them they looked like they were in a horror movie, to ease the mood. Everyone laughed and was excited to do it again with the competition.

They started the song. And it was so much better already. I picked the first girl and she cheered. All the others amped it up each time another girl was picked. Finally they got it. The song ended and I screamed with excitement.

“You guys! That was so good! I don’t ever want to see less energy than that!” I exclaimed.
They were all proud. Although Scott rarely gives compliments he agreed, “The girl’s number looks good.”

Being dance captain has taught me how important leadership is. Without a problem solving and innovative leader, a group cannot be productive. I’m grateful I had the opportunity to be a leader and I look forward to taking on leadership roles in the future, whenever I can.