College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

Last June, on a Saturday morning I came into the vet clinic. The vet told me, “Reggie got out again, the gate was left open. I got a call from someone in the neighborhood, saying there is a horse in their backyard!” This wasn't the first time something weird happened there.

I grabbed a dog leash and walked to the subdivision. After five minutes, a car stopped me and a lady asked, “Are you looking for a horse?”

She drove me to a man walking with Reggie down the sidewalk. I told them this wasn't the first time he got out and that he must've broke down the gate again.

As soon as I got him back in his pasture, I made sure the gate was tightly shut and then I got back to work, not knowing what new experiences may come my way.

Working at the vet clinic for almost two years, which was longer any other kennel worker has worked there, I got to be the main kennel worker. This meant I was the one with the most experience, the most responsibility, and the one everyone went to if they needed help or had a question. From making sure the dogs, cats, and even goats got their medication, to training new people, to giving a 2,000-pound horse a bath by myself, I made sure everything was done right.

If I hadn't worked at that vet clinic, I wouldn't have had those challenging experiences like running after a horse in a neighborhood. Working at the clinic for my first job, I learned more about who I am, what I am capable of and the importance of responsibility, dedication and hard work.