The Ohio State University | Teen Ink

The Ohio State University

March 28, 2010
By Rachael Pintaric BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
Rachael Pintaric BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Most people would think that the nation’s largest university would be ridiculously huge and intimidating with no college feel at all, but that is certainly not the case at The Ohio State University. In fact, it is the complete opposite. This beautiful school is the epitome of public universities.

Located in the capital city of Columbus, Ohio, Ohio State offers the best of both worlds. The campus itself is secluded enough from all the noise and distractions, yet the city is just a short walk away. There is never a dull moment with all of the entertainment and shopping within miles from the university, such as the Columbus Crew soccer stadium, the Arena District for hockey fans, and Easton Town Center.

Ohio State’s dorms are pretty basic for the most part, but are still kept very nice. Most of the housing on South Campus has community bathrooms, but the buildings on North and West have bathrooms in each dorm. South Campus is the most ideal place to live because it is right next to the South Campus Gateway, a small shopping center on High Street with many great restaurants and interesting little stores.

The Ohio State University is a public school, therefore it is extremely affordable. Tuition for in-state students is $8,706 and $22,278 for out of state, with an additional $8,409 for room and board. However, OSU offers the National Buckeye Scholarship for out of state students to compensate for the higher expenses along with many other financial aid services.

Not only does Ohio State have arguably one of the best football teams in the nation and is known for its contagious school spirit, but it also has a fantastic academic structure as well. The university is currently in the progress of becoming a research school, and according to The Princeton Review, it is also one of the Best Midwestern Colleges. Over the past few years, Ohio State has become much more selective in admissions, so many people recognize it as an extremely good school.

With 41,348 students enrolled, Ohio State is anything but small. Although this number is shockingly high, there are definitely many positives of this aspect. First, the student body is extremely diverse, especially considering the fact that there are 110 foreign countries represented in the university’s population. Secondly, a huge amount of students also means that there is a huge alumni program, which is very important in the future when interviewing for jobs. The number of possibilities of Ohio State connections in the world is amazing!

Many people may think that it is hard to get involved with clubs and activities in college, but Ohio State has over 950 student organizations ranging from language clubs to the Free Pizza Club. It is absolutely impossible for anybody not to find something they like at this school. In fact, with the help of a teacher and other students as well, anybody can start his or her own club.

For those who are willing to look past the size, The Ohio State University is truly the perfect school. It offers everything to fill anybody’s needs with a lively, spirited campus right in the center of a beautiful metropolitan city. What more could anybody ask for?