Massachusetts Maritime Academy | Teen Ink

Massachusetts Maritime Academy MAG

Buzzards Bay, MA: I was veryexcited to go to Massachusetts Maritime Academy on my first college visit. I love the sea and working withmy hands. After studying there I will be able to do what I've dreamed of: to run my own charters, cruisesor tugboat business.

I was astonished by how beautiful the place looked and their view. The campusis at the head of Buzzards Bay, the so-called "Gateway to the Cape," between the historic,scenic Cape Cod Canal and peaceful Buttermilk Bay.

The academic program involves a blend ofmathematics and sciences with technical and professional study. There is extensive computer equipment andall cadets are required to take computer classes for one semester. The academic programs are set up togive you a license for Third Mate (Deck Officer), Third Assistant Engineer and otherpositions.

What caught my attention at Massa-chusetts Maritime Academy was the sea terms. Atraining ship, the Patriot, goes to sea for approximately seven weeks each year. Cadets learn how to runthe ship, about the environment and get hands-on experience in the engine room. Past sea terms have goneto Barbados, Mexico, Portugal and Greece.

If you like going to sea, learning about the environmentand working with your hands, you should consider Massachusetts Maritime Academy.

Reviewed in 2000

i love this !