Michigan State University | Teen Ink

Michigan State University

By lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio
lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

As just one student, one may feel small and insignificant compared to the 47,000 total students that attend Michigan State University. With over 5,000 acres and only two legs, one may feel intimidated and lost at such a large university as Michigan State. Well aware of these facts, the Michigan State administration works hard to incorporate a “family feel” over the campus and reach out to every individual student. With a student to faculty ratio of 19 to 1, this is a proven fact. Michigan State encourages their students to shrink the campus to fit their interests, academically and socially, and to their lifestyle. By narrowing down the campus to your social activities, major and classes you take, and events you attend, the 5,000 acres begin to feel much less intimidating and a lot more like home.

Where such a large campus isn’t for everyone, Michigan State allows everyone the option to attend by offering over 200 areas of study. You are also guaranteed a quality education as nearly all of the classes are taught by professors who have earned their PhD. With the best of both worlds, classrooms range from 30 to 600 students. A great thing about Michigan State is they only have one campus which is located in East Lansing, Michigan, making classes easily accessible to students.

Based on the curriculum, there is something for everyone at Michigan State with over 200 areas of study. However, extra curricular wise, there is an increasing number of over 600 clubs and organizations for students to join. As with any university, but especially with such a huge school as Michigan State, participating in extra curricular activities is an easy way to meet people on campus and make friends.

At Michigan State, freshman are required to live on campus and can not have cars. However, in order to accompany so many students, there are many residence halls located in several residential neighborhoods throughout campus. In many aspects, every residence hall is unique. Dorm rooms offer two loft style beds, which allow for room underneath as well as adequate living space surrounding them. Beds can be moved around the room and also lowered for the students who do not wish to climb up to bed. Some other similarities that are consistent throughout all of the resident halls is two separate closets and a cable and ethernet connection.

With such a large campus and with as many students as MichProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

an State has, one make might the assumption that the university is located in a big city, further increasing any feelings of intimidation. Michigan State is located in the city of East Lansing right in the downtown area. It is a small city with a lot to offer and with a true “college town” atmosphere. Employment and entertainment wise, students can always find what they are looking for close to home in East Lansing.

For student athletes and spectators alike, Michigan State has an outstanding athletic program. They are a part of the Big Ten Conference which composes of some of the best athletic teams in the nation. Michigan State’s nickname is the Spartans, and they are led by their mascot, Sparty. The school colors are green and white. Athletic events are a big part of student life on campus here, and Michigan State boasts an excellent sense of school spirit. All over campus, one can hear students shouting their famous cheer “Go Green! Go White!” As over 420,000 graduates of the university will say, “Once you are a Spartan, you are a Spartan for life.”

One word that comes to mind when I think of Michigan State University is “impressive.” I was extremely impressed with how clean the campus was and how friendly the students and faculty were. This is definitely a place I could see myself attending in the near future. I feel that Michigan State offers the best of both worlds to its students whether it’s with residence halls, class sizes, or location. By the end of the day, I could feel colors of green and white beginning to surge through my veins.

I wrote this piece after touring the campus on a college visit to the university.

TheHangingGirl BRONZE, Winter Haven, Florida
1 article 1 photo 250 comments

"Poets utter great and wise things that they themselves can not comprehend."

Very well written.

Aubreyk BRONZE said...
Aubreyk BRONZE, North Wales, Pennsylvania
Thanks so much for writing this! I'm having a tough time deciding which college I should attend and this is one of my choices.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Hmm...sounds like an interesting university.  I will definitely check it out in a few years.  Great review!