The 2020 Starter Pack | Teen Ink

The 2020 Starter Pack

March 24, 2021
By AidenWatkins BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma
AidenWatkins BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Well, it looks like we survived the terrible 2020. A quarantine damaging the economy leaving the U.S with high unemployment rates and a suffering GDP. As well as masks being used all over the world to protect themselves from the COVID 19 virus. To the COVID 19 virus affecting everyone around the world one way or another. Thus, in a 2020 starter pack, there has to be a quarantine, masks, and covid 19. 

 

There can't be a 2020 starter pack without the mention of quarantine. The quarantine has caused the world economy to suffer as a whole, but in the U.S the stock market sunk a quarter from its highest peak losing over 3 years of gains. Not to mention a record of 3.28 million Americans filing for unemployment benefits. Also the effect the quarantine has had on the U.S industries, for example, 70% of the U.S GDP is made up of consumption. Unfortunately, many households around the U.S are holding off on big purchases now as they worry about their finances and jobs due to the quarantine. As a result, the effects of the economic recession brought on by the quarantine will be felt long after the quarantine itself has ended further supporting the infamy of 2020. Therefore, making it an essential addition to a “2020 starter pack”.

 

Masks have become an iconic symbol of 2020, so in a 2020 starter pack masks would have to be involved. A study done by the American Society for Microbiology found that masks are indeed effective in containing COVID 19 aerosols/droplets. Evidence such as this made the idea of using a mask a popular option to combat contracting COVID 19. This kind of research helped to justify and gain support for governments to enact mask mandates which further caused the use of masks to skyrocket. As a result, due to this very sudden and widespread use of masks in 2020, it earns a spot on a 2020 starter pack.

 

Covid 19 is the primary culprit that made 2020 so infamous. The virus has affected virtually every industry in the world. Due to covid's impact on the food industry, there are an estimated 690 million unnourished people and that number is expected to rise to 132 million. Well as half the world’s 3.3 billion at risk of losing their livelihoods. To see this amount of people not able to get jobs or even food for that matter due to COVID is heart-wrenching. All this goes to show how much COVID 19 has affected people and industries around the world. Therefore, COVID has and is the most important part of a 2020 starter pack.

 

Furthermore, In a 2020 starter pack, it must include the quarantine, masks, and COVID 19. The quarantine caused the economy to go in a downward spiral the effects of which will be felt for years to come. As well as masks used to combat and slow the spread of covid being used all over the globe. Finally, COVID 19 has affected the way we live and left none of our daily lives untouched. But the question that needs to be answered is what next; covid isn't going anywhere so what can be done about it. Will people in the future look back on this year or even essays such as this to study and learn about the year 2020. This year has been hard on all of us but if something like this happens again will you be prepared.

 

Miller, Chris. “The Effect of COVID-19 on the U.S. Economy.” Foreign Policy Research Institute, 24 Nov. 2020, www.fpri.org/article/2020/03/the-effect-of-covid-19-on-the-u-s-economy/.

 

Ueki, Hiroshi, et al. “Effectiveness of Face Masks in Preventing Airborne Transmission of SARS-CoV-2.” MSphere, American Society for Microbiology Journals, 28 Oct. 2020, msphere.asm.org/content/5/5/e00637-20.

 

Chriscaden, Kimberly. “Impact of COVID-19 on People's Livelihoods, Their Health and Our Food Systems.” World Health Organization, World Health Organization, 13 Oct. 2020, www.who.int/news/item/13-10-2020-impact-of-covid-19-on-people's-livelihoods-their-health-and-our-food-systems#:~:text=The%20economic%20and%20social%20disruption,the%20end%20of%20the%20year.


The author's comments:

This was a essay I wrote for my English class responding to the research question what should be in a 2020 starter pack.