United Nations | Teen Ink

United Nations

May 31, 2022
By JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
JulienYang BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine had caused its removal from the human rights council in this organization. This organization aims to develop friendly relations among nations, promote social progress, maintain international peace and security, and better living standards and human rights for the world. The United Nations replaced the League of Nations when it failed to prevent the Second World War. The formation of the United Nations was established after the Second World War to resolve conflicts between nations. It consists of multiple committees that aim to promote and protect human rights and leverage advances in technology to achieve this goal.


This is accomplished through the formation of two main types of bodies to promote and protect human rights. According to the article, “Promoting and protecting human rights in the United Nations system, “Charter bodies are established under the United Nations charter to fulfill the United Nations general purpose of promoting human rights. The human rights treaty bodies are committees of independent experts that monitor the implementation of the core international human rights treaties” (Promoting). These committees have very separate objectives with a focus on human rights. There is also a council that meets every four years to review and develop ways to improve human rights. According to the article, “Promoting and protecting human rights in the United Nations system, “Forty-seven United Nations members sit on the Human Rights Council. One of its main purposes is to review the human rights record of every United Nations member state once every four years and to make recommendations for improvement” (Promoting). These two pieces of evidence suggest that decisions were not made by the individual nations, but collectively by multiple nations.  


Aside from the committees and council, the United Nations also used Artificial Intelligence to help in its peace efforts. According to the article, “United Nations Turns to Artificial Intelligence in Its Peace Efforts, “Over the past year, the United Nations has worked with the AI start-up Remesh on an algorithm that helped negotiate peace agreements across Yemen and Libya as the two nations grappled with ongoing civil wars and the coronavirus pandemic” (Dalvin). The above example is one application of how Artificial Intelligence is used in peace-making efforts between two nations. The work of the United Nations creates a better society where nations work together to improve the lives of civilians. According to the article, “United Nations Turns to Artificial Intelligence in Its Peace Efforts, “The United Nations currently manages a dozen peacekeeping operations on three continents to minimize the suffering of civilians and sustain peace over the long run” (Dalvin). Through the use of Artificial Intelligence and dozen peacekeeping operations, the United Nations had maintain international peace.


The United Nations role was best illustrated in its handling of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The organization had been working to intervene by condemning Russia’s action and assisting people in Ukraine. Hopefully, all these actions from the United Nations will cease this war and prevent the outbreak of another world war.   


The author's comments:

I am currently an 8th-grade student.