Shot of Melancholy, Shot of Despair, on the Rocks of Trauma | Teen Ink

Shot of Melancholy, Shot of Despair, on the Rocks of Trauma

You feel so much of something that you forget how to feel anything else. All other emotions become dysfunctional -you become dysfunctional. It’s a long time and a lot of effort to return to normality. When something traumatic happens, the fight isn’t in overcoming the past or the people who hurt or betrayed you; the fight is in overcoming yourself, in trusting yourself, in believing in yourself. I could say that those around me might view my approach to everything as overly dramatic, as unnecessarily melancholic, but they weren’t there to stop the past and this is my way of mourning and fixing it because even after I broke down, in order to admit that nothing was ok because if not the world would have gone on believing it was.

And that’s the thing that no one ever knows, no one ever knows how that one moment, or series of consecutive moments felt like, pure desperation or a potently toxic combination of negative emotions at one time, everyone will just tell you it’s the past, but they don’t have to live with the consequences, they don’t and they never will nor even care to try to know or understand or imagine solace is an illusion or I have yet to find it…

…Days pass by without meaning. My numbness is assisted by waves of lethargy and indifference towards any responsibility or daily task that might not be a temporary source of solace. You’re put off by people, yet feel lonely in your self-sought isolation. You struggle in being a presentable and decent human being, perhaps because it's so hard to be decent when you've been in anything but decent situations and your indecent behavior is the only contrast, the only truth to that awful reality that tries to convince you of a normality that was never there and that even now, you don’t know, but long for.

Yes, I know the sentences go and on and even end in propositions. I know the tense of the piece changes, but I didn’t change any of these things to keep it pure, pure and honest as to how when one feels so overwhelmed by everything, one can’t even express themselves even in the way the most love doing so. Call me lazy, judge me as you will, but these unsorted thoughts and attempts at describing my reality of my emotions is all I can offer the world right now.

And if there's anyone who's gone through this, any advice would be helpful. And if there's anyone going through this, know you're not alone. And if there's anyone who cares, thank you, you're kind.

I wish I could give some hope at the end of all the moroseness, but it would misrepresent my feelings. For now, I can only share a quote from tumblr, which was originally in Spanish and translates to
"You'll be happy, but first life will teach you to be strong."

Contradicting myself, I hope to find this quote to be true -very soon.

Also, the title by no means advocates alcoholic beverages, it was just my best effort in trying to cover the main concepts in the piece within the title.

Patofed said...
Hello my dear, great description. Feel touched.