The All Knowing Poster | Teen Ink

The All Knowing Poster

May 1, 2012
By MichelleAmanda DIAMOND, Miamisburg, Ohio
MichelleAmanda DIAMOND, Miamisburg, Ohio
55 articles 6 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is just vinalla ice cream without the sprinkles that are creative people.


My school has began a new campagin aganist bullying, so there have been anti-bullying posters plastered all over the walls of the school like the ugly wall-paper on the walls of my garndma's livign room. Both are probally equallly effective in stoppign bulllying.
The first thing the posters tell us to do is to avoid the bully. As is we are the ones who walk up to them every day. I wonder if that means if someone bullys you in one of your classes then you can avoid that class? If someone was bullying me right now I'd try it.
The second thing the posters say is to make friends. With who, the bully? Or make friends with other people so the bully won't bother you anymore? In case the school hasn't noticed bullies, as annoying and unpleasent as they are, also have friends. That means now the bully and their friends can now bully you and your friends! A wonderful suggestion.
The third peice of advice is to tell someone, I'm guessing that means to tell a teacher because it falls to specify. That seems like a good idea, until you try it. I challenge you the next day you go to school to go up to a teacher and say you're being bullied, even if you're not. Here's what they'll say: "I'm sorry but I can't do anythign until they do something that I see them doing", or soemthing to that effect. So they'll wait until the bully beats you up or makes you have a nervous break down, or you kill yourself, or you snap and come in and shoot up the school. Is that what they mean? Will they do something then?
To tell you the truth the only reason these posters bother me so much right now is becuase of a recent school shooting, not at my school but near here. I wonder about the kid who did it. Did he ever try to do what the posters told him to do? Did he try to avoid people who bothered him but couldn't? Did he try to make friends but was rejected? Did he tell a teacher?
I paritculary wonder if he did tell a teacher how that teacher feels now? Did they say they'd have to wait until they saw something?
Wake up people! No dumb poster is goign to do anything to stop bullying if when the kid goes for help YOU DON"T HELP THE KID!
DO SOMETHING!
Or, I geuss you could keep using the poster methood, because it works so well after all.