Magma | Teen Ink

Magma

March 20, 2013
By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
72 articles 0 photos 860 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown


People are like the floating pieces of Earth's crust. They float atop a delicate bed of magma, slip through miniscule cracks and crevices, and end up mangling themselves and those around them in the very end. They also slyly slink under each other, causing an abrupt but unrealized suicide. With their death, unlike people, they are presented with the radiant gift of rebirth.

We don't get physical rebirth. But, if we so choose, we can whisk our old selves into the magma wishing well, and hope that a new and improved person can bound out aimlessly.

The trip to our wishing well, however, isn't always a nice family road trip to a cute little town.

It is simply not.

Instead, it is accompanied with burns and scars that grimly embellish your body forever.

Many trips into the boiling magma of mental rebirth began with bullying.

Imagine you're a tectonic plate, floating upon Earth's fragile magma bed. You've been scratched and gently filed away a few times, but nothing too drastic.

Suddenly, you're approached by a large, menacing plate. This plate has approached you before, and his arrival was not followed by a pleasant experience. You have no choice but to cower, as you feel that if you stand up to the overpowering plate, your torture will be worse.

This plate is hollow.

This plate lacks logical reasoning.

It lacks a reason at all.

This plate is less dense than you.

It is merely full of hot air.

But your protesting mind listens to its commands nonetheless, and you're pushed down into the magma-filled pit simply because you're more dense.

This density is your wits, your intellectual power. The top plate, the bully, forced you under in the midst of jealousy and anger.

The magma that you're obligated into is essentially the wrath of bullying. You feel impeccable pain as you are twisted,

turned,


pulled,



pushed,




pressured,





heated,






stung,


...until you find yourself above it all.

You're a new person, reshaped by the barbaric chisels of bullying.

On top of that, you've become even better than before, a volcano on our metaphorical Earth.

You grow in size, due to simple science and your new-found confidence.

Most of all, you're living and better than before.



No longer a victim, you've transformed into a victor.


The author's comments:
This is about bullying in general.
I was talking to my friend the other day, and they happened to bring up a friend of theirs who was experiencing severe bullying from her peers. My friend asked me for advice, since he really did not know what to tell her when she came upset to him.
The first thing I told him to tell her was to never hurt herself, and that everyone was a beautiful person, inside and out. It was their choices that made them ugly.

At school, we recently concluded studying about Earth's structure and tectonic plates. I, being the science geek that I can't help but be, told him to tell her this story. Of course, it was a bit different over a text, but it lifted a load off of my heart as soon as I hit send.
The top, less dense plate represents a bully, and how they can push you down into a pit that you may think you will never get out of.
The magma, like I said, represents the bullying process, and how it literally reshapes you, just like magma does to rock.
Lastly, emerging out of the ground as a literally new rock, or person, was the relief and experience that you gain when the bullying has concluded. The confidence you now have makes you bigger and better than before, hence the volcano.

I hope you enjoy this... It definitely hit home in my heart! (: