Out of sight but never out of mind | Teen Ink

Out of sight but never out of mind

October 22, 2013
By dijonah taylor BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
dijonah taylor BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Dear Old Friend,
I use to feel as if i was responsible for your death, cause i wasn't there for you when you needed me most.I could see the walls crashing down around you, but I didn't have the courage to come and pull you from the rubble,I watched and waited hoping you would some how pull your self through. You were there for me but I could never be there for you, you were my shoulder to cry on but I could not offer you mine. I didn't want to be seen around you because you were the geek, the loner, the Emo chick that no one hung out with because she just wasn't cool.You had your own style that everyone else thought was whack, and I should have been there I should have had your back. Then one day you didn't come to school and I thought well maybe she moved. Maybe she went somewhere where she could be accepted for who she is, a fresh start, a clean slate.I never expected the new place not to be on this earth,I never expected for you to walk through the golden gates so soon.We always talked of our kids playing together, and our husbands being twins but we never expected that dream to end so soon. Your mom still cry's for you wishing that one day you will magically appear, in your sweats and on the couch eating pizza,she wish's that you had never gone through this never had to feel the pain of feeling ugly,never had to walk through a hallway crowded with whispered insults as you walk through. Honestly I wish the same thing too, I wish I had the voice then that i do now, the voice to tell people to stop the bullying and the name calling. To stand-up and speak for those out there, who are to scared to have a voice themselves. I just wrote this letter to tell you that even though i was to late for you i Vow not to be late for the others out there going through the same thing.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece first from my experience of losing my grandfather then i heard on the news of kids dying of suicide caused by bullying and i turned my story of death to help shine a light on bullying.