All Bodies Are Beautiful *Terms and Conditions May Apply | Teen Ink

All Bodies Are Beautiful *Terms and Conditions May Apply

April 11, 2016
By iulia-arnswald BRONZE, Tirana, Other
iulia-arnswald BRONZE, Tirana, Other
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Are you happy with your body?” The teacher asked the whole class. The air-conditioning unit humming in the background, the class looked around at each other. “Anorexia? Does anyone know what anorexia is?” The teacher began. For what felt like hours, I could feel their eyes burning holes into my back. Finally the teacher said, “Class dismissed.” I pushed the plastic chair back with my feet and stood up. “Julia! Wait we need to talk.” I exhaled loudly, turned on the balls of my feet and walked towards her.


“Yes Miss?” I forced a smile and stood opposite of her.


She hesitated, looked down my body, but forced the words out of her mouth, “You are rather thin…” 


“And?” I asked her. I pushed my hair out of my face. I am thin, but it doesn’t necessarily mean I’m anorexic.
“Well,” she stopped her words and stared at me, “You seem, well.” She stopped again. She told me I’m too thin and I was considered ‘too skinny.’ I rolled my eyes and looked away, I placed my hands on my lap and waited for the conversation to end. Turns out she thought I was anorexic, just from my appearance.


Going to lunch I grabbed my plate of food, quietly sat down on the white table and began eating. My friends were watching my every move.


“How much do you weigh?” One of them quietly asked.


I pursed my lips together and I looked her dead in the eye.


“I know I’m skinny, I get awful stares and nasty comments and I know people talk behind my back.” I looked down playing with my food, “I am naturally thin, I can touch my pinky to thumb around my wrist. I barely have ‘Weight’ and my hips are razor sharp. That doesn’t mean I’m anorexic!” I looked up again, “People tell me to eat, yet at lunch or dinner all I hear is ‘Where does all the food even go?’” I got up, put my plate away and walked to class, alone.


Sitting down opposite me a boy who I had known for years. He constantly picked on me about how skinny I was.
“Eat more!” He said, while unwrapping a chocolate bar and explained to me how to eat it, so I could ‘finally learn.’ I left the room feeling awful about myself.


Two weeks had passed. I was walking towards swim practice. I quickly changed and went to the pool where everyone was warming up. I casually joined in. The swimsuit was stretched over my body and you could see my collarbone and my backbone as I bent down. I wasn’t feeling too comfortable.


Then, a group of girls walked up to me and said, “You know Julia, your real name should be Anna-Rexic.” They laughed and walked away. I never felt so small in my life. I cried and went back to the changing room. They didn’t think twice about what they said and how it affected my feelings. I really hated my body.