Modern Media and Cyber Bullying | Teen Ink

Modern Media and Cyber Bullying

By IsabelleMarieMartin SILVER, Oberlin, Louisiana
IsabelleMarieMartin SILVER, Oberlin, Louisiana

'It's never too late to be what you might have been". -George Elliot

Modern media is a very accurate and abundant tool to use for information, homework,etc., and we are very privileged that we have access to this great opportunity that not many people have, or can afford in other countries. Theoretically, aren’t we also taking advantage of the fact that we can now hurt others without verbally confronting them?

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Google, and You Tube are all gateways to the most verbal/ Nonverbal way of hurting others. This diabolical gateway is known as cyber bullying. In case you are puzzled on what cyberbullying is, cyber bullying is name calling, threatening, lying, putting a peer down, or spreading atrocious or agonizingly painful rumors about someone on a social media site, gossip site, or web page.

About 20 percent of  adolescents that get cyber bullied think about suicide, and only one in every ten attempt it. If you do the math, that would be about 4,500 adolescents committing suicide each year! Cyberbullying is not just name calling, but it can also be taking inappropriate pictures of someone, and this is also known as pornography. When this  event happens, it can really disrupt and trigger the victims self esteem and self worth, plus it can also put the victim in great danger  if the wrong person  happens to be gawking at the photo that was taken.

If you are getting cyberbullied, it can hurt just as bad as if you were getting punched by a bully, and maybe a bit more painful. I believe that social media is a really utilitarian tool for knowledge, but not for cyberbullying in my eyes. Cyber bullying is never copacetic, and it should never be abided. Stand up and speak up against cyberbullying so that we can extinguish it completely.

I hope that when people read my piece, they will understand the cause, effect, and dangers of bullying. I would like to thank the following people who made a huge impact on my life: Jennifer Harvey, Melissa Morgan, Beverly Deusterheft, Della Enriquez, Mariah, My Family, Steven Barmore, Jennifer Shifflett, My Great Grandmother Tai Tai, Hailey Brown,and all my past, present, and future friends. Thank you all so much for all of your endless love, support, faith, and hope in me.