Reminder: Keep Helping the Homeless Now that Christmas Is Over | Teen Ink

Reminder: Keep Helping the Homeless Now that Christmas Is Over

By STEMStepUp BRONZE, Winnetka, Illinois
STEMStepUp BRONZE, Winnetka, Illinois

I recently saw a video of a guy who decided to host a Super Bowl party for some homeless men, providing them with food, jerseys, and a place to watch the game. He mentions in the video that people often think about helping the homeless at Christmas-time, but no one ever does anything for them for the Super Bowl.

It may sound dumb to you. The Super Bowl isn’t a holiday. It isn’t associated with values of peace and love. But, it’s a cultural event that ties America together. (Trust me, this is even more noticeable if you weren’t born in America.) And when you watch this video, you get a reminder, if you need one, that these men are still people, with interests and passions. They still like to have fun and spend time with other people. I’m sure they enjoyed having a nice meal and being warm, but you can tell that the chance to be treated like a person, enjoying the company of others and being entertained, has a huge impact.

Homeless people are still people. They have a favorite sports team, TV show, or band. Before they were homeless, they had a favorite shirt, or a favorite spot on the coach, or a way they like their eggs cooked, just like you do. Those preferences don’t disappear just because they can’t be met. Having food and water and a safe place to sleep is vital. But so is human connection.

Many of us are involved in charity events over the Christmas or winter holiday season. We organize coat drives or work in a soup kitchen or buy a present that we select from a tree at the mall. And it’s great that we do that. But remember - these people don’t disappear on January 1, and neither do their needs, hopes, and dreams.

The National Center for Family Homelessness reports that there are 2.5 million homeless children in America. That is one in every thirty children, and the number is higher than ever. That means that there are definitely homeless children in your city, almost definitely homeless children in your school, and likely a homeless child in at least one of your classes.

I know that we are all busy and we may already feel overwhelmed, but think of having all those same responsibilities and then also not having a home, a safe and dependable place to stay and to sleep and to keep your possessions, and not wanting anyone to know. Think of having those same responsibilities but being hungry, or exhausted from cold weather or sleeping somewhere unsafe.

Think of them in March, when it isn’t Christmas. Think of them in college application season, and in track season, and when you’re too busy. Don’t be too busy. It has been one of the coldest months in recent history in certain parts of the country, and we can help the people who really need our help.

So, what can you do?

• Talk to local homeless shelters or after-school programs and ask what they need. You may have items in your home that could really help.

• After talking to a local organization about what they need, set up a drive with a club at your school. Used and new coats, winter clothing, new socks and underwear, and shoes are some often-needed items.

• The most helpful thing to donate is money. Can your club or group do a fundraiser for a local homeless shelter?

• If you know a family in need, think about giving to them directly. Teachers at your school, leaders at your place or worship, or community leaders might know of a particular family in need that your club, family, or school could “adopt” and help with money, items, or volunteer support.

• Think bigger. Maybe you can start a club at your school that offers free tutoring, after-school classes, music and art classes, or sports. This would give your club members an opportunity to gain leadership skills while providing a warm, safe place for kids to come and learn a new skill.

There are lots of ways to help support the homeless in your community. And there are homeless people in your community. “The homeless” aren’t some nebulous group of men in a city far away; they are kids that go to your school and are living out of their car or sleeping on a neighbor’s couch, and they need your support. I promise that you have something you can give to make their lives better if you take the time to learn more about what they need.