Community Is Family | Teen Ink

Community Is Family

By Jadasmith101 BRONZE, Cerritos, California
Jadasmith101 BRONZE, Cerritos, California

The definition of community has evolved for me from childhood to the young adult I am now. I am a second generation American because my mom was born in America but both her parents were from the Bahamas. Where my mom is from it is their culture to take care of their youth, elderly, and sick ( beyond national healthcare). My mom taught us to be mindful and caring to those around us because we’re all apart of  “community”. Community is an extension of family, it includes grandparent, friends, neighbors and those you don’t know well but share resources (schools, hospitals, etc…) Community service started with me wanting to give back at the youth center I attended, then illness struck at home and I saw a way to give to my grandmother and this experience brought me to volunteer at Cape Coral Hospital.

In my community in Cape Coral, Florida I volunteered at the Youth Center. At 9 years old my family moved to Cape Coral, Florida. Both mom and dad worked full time so they registered me to attend an after school program at the Youth Center. Youth counselors who would help me with my homework, teach and play games with me and this is where my interest was piqued. The Youth Center was a great place to be, kids came from other schools, and we played different sports, did group activities, field trips, ceremonies, and even had a skate park where we would go to throughout the week.

The Youth Center was also a safe and familiar place for me when my grandmother became ill. In 2014 my Grandmother had to have heart surgery to replace a heart valve previously implanted in 2001. The doctor told us that she would need physical therapy and occupational therapy. Florida didn’t provide long term for their elderly, sick, so when the nurse came to our house they advised this would not be ongoing. I asked if I could learn from the nurse how to give my grandma her medicine and it started here. In moving to California, I continue to volunteer to feed her all her meals, administer her medication and help her with daily routine ( baths, hair and getting dressed).

I loved being at Cape Coral Hospital and helping out with the infant room and the elderly or sick. I could learn from the nurse how to give my grandma her medicine and it started here. In moving to California, she lives in an apartment on our property and I continue to volunteer to feed her all her meals, administer her medication and help her with daily routine (bath, hair and getting dressed).

I loved being at Cape Coral Hospital, I would bring paperwork to other doctors, bring food to the patients, and make sure the patients were attended. I would also work at the front desk and greet people coming in and out, I would help direct visitors to see patients. I would  always tell what the patient’s mood and what would cheer them up because I had built a relationship with the patients and their love ones. I grew to feel the hospital was a part of my community.

The time I was volunteering at the Youth Center, with my grandma and at the Hospital I learned that people become sort of an extended family when you care about them. It was a pleasure volunteering and building new bonds and relationships with everyone. I now am aware and considerate of those close to me, neighbors and even strangers who share my resources.

I love helping others and making the community a better place to live in. If everyone in our community weren't contributing, there wouldn't be a community to live in. The citizens all have a role and thats making the community feel like home.