My Epiphany | Teen Ink

My Epiphany MAG

January 20, 2010
By Nayeli...Hahaha BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Nayeli...Hahaha BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I have loved to the point of mad, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love.


As I hurriedly filled each box with two cans of peas, I implored the day to end. I was hungry, exhausted and just plain ungrateful. The only reason I had signed up to work at St. Mary's was for the community service hours. Those hungry families weren't seeing me sweat – they weren't even going to thank me. Why was I putting ­myself through this miserable torture? The only thing that got me through the day was having my friend beside me.

However, during my ­complaining and whining I suddenly realized something: there I was, anxious to get home and eat, while there were million of poor souls wandering the streets with nothing to put in their mouths. I thought my work was so slight it wouldn't even make a difference. Boy, was I wrong. Even the most menial job helps; my packing peas helped feed a couple hundred families.

This experience opened my eyes to a new world. The satisfaction I received from feeling useful cannot be experienced through anything else. I truly believe I have become a better person just through that simple act of volunteering. I am now thankful for all my blessings and I wish to help those that aren't as lucky as I am. I thank God every day for all the blessings I have. Volunteer and experience the joy of giving instead of receiving – I promise that it's the best feeling in the world.