Together as one. | Teen Ink

Together as one.

February 8, 2010
By Beginner BRONZE, Rio De Janeiro, Other
Beginner BRONZE, Rio De Janeiro, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There comes a time in everyone's life where a disaster happens. And this time im talking about something bigger then that bad grade you got in science, or that ugly divorce your parents are going through. It's easy to get caught up in your own problems and forget to aknolage the ones around you. Over the past few years the world around us has gone through big changes. Many have been devastating. Wars and terror have followed us from 2001 and up till now, no one really knows when it will all end. Natural disasters have also been a major event. Innocent people loosing their homes, their loved ones, due to unexplannable causes. Science may warn us, but when it comes down to it, disasters like Tsunamis, earthquakes, tornados, blizards, are much too tragic and much too devastating, to truly prepare for. It's times like these that the world must come together. No matter what race, gender, age or social status you find yourself in, someone out there needs your help. It’s understandable that maybe you don’t have money to donate, but what about your parents, your neighbors, teachers and friends. Found raisers seem small but they can have such big impact on others. Let's go beyond money, what about clothes, chances are everyone of you have at least one pair of sneakers you dont frequently wear, that sweater from last season, the pants that just doesn’t seem to fit , how about taking them all and putting them in a box, talk to your friends, they might want the extra closet space too, The feeling you get when you help those less fortunate, is something every person out there should experience. Think about it, wouldn’t you like others to help you if the situation was reversed, help your family members, the ones you care about the most. Every moment that passes there is a kid somewhere, a kid just like you, who breathes and eats, plays and dreams, crys and laughs, who needs your help. 5 dollars, 10 dollars, one sweater, two, a bag of rice and a gallon of water, all these things we maybe take for granted everyday, things that might not seem like much, but to them, could make all the difference. Mohandas Gandhi once said, "A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave," So let us all be brave and help those around us. Let's just give and not think of the take, lets be human in a time when compassion is the greatest gift.

Links that are now helping Haiti Earthquake survivors :

https://secure.unicefusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=6680&6680.donation=form1

https://secure2.convio.net/dri/site/Donation2?idb=137039094&1170.donation=form1&df_id=1170

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f421296e81ec89e43181aa0/?vgnextoid=a8712721ea326210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

https://www.wfp.org/donate/haiti

https://www.theirc.org/donate/donate-now-haiti

http://www.socialvibe.com


The author's comments:
With the upgoing news on the survivors of the earthquake in Haiti, it's to me become more certain then ever that we must help those around us when their in times of need.