Camp sunshine | Teen Ink

Camp sunshine

Last summer I attended Camp Sunshine also known as Muscular Dystrophy camp as a counselor and volunteer. At first, I wanted to do it because I thought that I would earn a lot of service hours, but once I got there, my outlook took a complete volte-face. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. My friend Holly and I were counselors for a girl named Tiffany. She could not walk, but we called her speedy because of her agility in her wheel chair. She was one of a kind, and she taught me more than I could ever imagine. Through various trials and tribulations throughout the week, I learned to be patient, to be understanding, to be thankful, to love unconditionally, and to accept people the way they are. I am returning this year, and I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us. It also made me thankful for everything I have, and it made me appreciate all the little things I have in my life that seem trivial to many people. Going into camp, I had no idea what was in store for me. I just hope that this year is just as amazing as the last.