What Service Means to Me... | Teen Ink

What Service Means to Me...

May 13, 2008
By Anonymous

"Service is the rent we pay for being. It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time." Quotes children's activist, Marian Wright Edelman. To serve others is to minister to others and help others in various ways, it is not to do it for show or publicity, but simply to enrich and help the lives of others and your own life. Everyone can help others in some form or fashion and can realize that helping others can give our lives a sense of meaning and purpose. Mother Teresa dedicated her life to serving others and found a deep sense of fulfillment. I believe we should all contribute to the welfare of others by helping meet physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. The Bible tells us that Jesus came into this world to serve others, not to be served. Serving others might be considered as work by some, but it is an act of worship and spiritual activity. Jesus was a servant and showed us how to serve others with forgiveness, look for helpful ways to help others, to give and to build others up. As examples to Jesus' disciples, he washed their feet before the Last Supper. As Christains, God calls us to be ministers and have a heart to serve others and put the needs of others above our own.