Help in the Community | Teen Ink

Help in the Community

Nothing feels better then that one moment right after giving or helping someone in need. Community service, to most people, might be considered as people who broke the law doing their time. However, you can help your community when ever you feel like it. Community service doesn’t just help someone out but it shows the other person that there are people out there that care and are willing to help. Over the past four or five years I have been trying my best to help around my community any way I can.
One way I try to help is by collecting canned food for the hungry. Both of my parents are on the fire department and so once a year we all get together to collect canned food. We start by passing out flyers in different sub-divisions a few weeks before. Then we go around in the fire trucks, with the sirens and lights going, and collect. Finally, we take the food to the nearest shelter. It always makes me happy to see how many people give food.
Also, a few times a month I go down to Grace Centers of Hope with my church to prepare and serve food. I have met some of the most caring people there. All of the workers are always excited about what they are doing. The people we serve the food to are also very kind. They are so thankful for every meal they get and never leave one crumb on their plates. Everyone that helps gives so much of their time and they never once complain. If that isn’t giving I don’t know what is.
Providing food for people is not the only thing people can do to help. They can also clean up the side of roads in their community. A couple times a year my youth group cleans up about two miles of a road in our community. As we walk down the road picking up trash people honk as they pass. Also, we pass other people that are walking their dogs or on a jog. They ask were we are from and say thanks.
It doesn’t matter if you give food serve food or clean up a road in your community, as long as you do something. People will always be thankful even if you do something small. You don’t have to go out and do something big, it’s the small things and the fact that you care makes others happy. If every person just gave up a few hours of sitting and watching television we could help so many people in need and help them get back on their feet.

I hope that the readers of this artile we become inspired to help make their community a better place for everyone to live.