How Volunteering Changed Me | Teen Ink

How Volunteering Changed Me

May 11, 2016
By caseyhearns BRONZE, Commack, New York
caseyhearns BRONZE, Commack, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I began volunteering at a hospital in August 2014, and I can honestly say it has had more of an influence on me than I would have ever thought. When I first filled out the forms to begin volunteering, I only thought I would be applying to do a set job and getting some exposure to hospital experience. I wanted to volunteer at a hospital because when I get older, I want to go into pediatric medicine. I thought by volunteering, I would be able to get a glimpse of what it was really like. I chose this hospital as opposed to many other options because I heard a lot of good things about the volunteer program and the opportunities that were offered.


There are many different departments to volunteer in at the hospital. I chose the distribution/transport department, meaning that I bring equipment or whatever is needed around the hospital to wherever it is needed. The transport department is on the first level of the hospital, and is responsible for delivering items from floors one through nineteen. I am also responsible for moving stretchers and anything else the staff requires of me. One of the people that run the “transport crew,” as they call themselves, is Olga. Olga is always there when I go to volunteer, and she always makes sure things are running smooth.


From volunteering at the hospital for almost two years, I’ve learned more than I could have ever imagined. I never realized what it took for a hospital to actually function before joining the “transport crew.” Before I volunteered, I always imagined a hospital as just doctors and patients, and not the hundreds of people that do the things that nobody even notices. Olga has also taught me many things about persistence and how the little things make the big difference.


Volunteering in a hospital has also taught me perspective, and how there are so many more components and jobs in a hospital besides doctors/patients. This volunteering position has also inspired me to work harder in school. When I deliver things to the pediatric unit, I see all of the staff, and it just reminds me that I have to work hard to get to that position one day. Volunteering has brought the best out of me and I am more and more grateful for the opportunity to help people while becoming a better person every day.