Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

December 19, 2016
By Wiggans_514 BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
Wiggans_514 BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Community service is very important in our generation. The people in our community whether they are a sports fan, a business owner, or a Floyds shelf stocker; they are helping each of us out. Community service can range from picking up trash, raking leaves, and scrubbing the pool before it opens. It is also a good way to show a person the importance of giving back. The community pays their entrance fee into football and basketball games, and that is what helps pay for new equipment, new stands, or even a new gym floor. All of the money that flows through the door should be shown some attention and community service is a very good way to do just that.

 

Sometimes people offer rewards for doing community service. Such as money, or a blue and white card. I personally don't think that there should be any type of reward for community service; rewards aren’t a good thing because you are having to bribe people to give back to the community that has already given to them, rather them do it themselves. But students who participate in community service can have a better sense of self-efficiency. It can make them feel is though the things they do can make a difference. Like say they go with a group of students to help build a new ramp at a local nursing home. They are bettering the lives of the people that are living in that nursing home that may have fought in the war and lost their limbs. There is however, an alternative to giving rewards, like acknowledging those who participate.


How can you help? You can help by the following thing: participate in any community service that is available, get as many people as you can to participate in community service. I myself will participate in any community service that is presented to me. Like I have helped pick up trash around the town with the school. I have also raked leaves out of random people's yards in the community, and scrubbing the city pool. By helping the community with these things I have learned that some people can’t do it for themselves because of a physical disability. It has also taught me to help those in need. The community has been improved by the city pool not having bacteria, and by being a role model for younger children to be active in community service, by making the local yards look nicer than they would with all the leaves on them.


The author's comments:

I hope that when people read this it makes them want to be more active in the community.