A GREEN REVOLUTION | Teen Ink

A GREEN REVOLUTION

By DaveOT SILVER, Milton, Ontario
DaveOT SILVER, Milton, Ontario

Once upon a time, the earth was rich and abundant. The sky plastered a perfect blue, and lush greenery covered the earth. A land so fruitful and bountiful, a world so tender and young. Then came a subtle wave, where utmost satisfaction had to be met at all cost. The world has never remained the same again.

The broad term “biodiversity” is derived from the words “Biology” and “Diversity”. It refers to the variation of all life forms existing on our planet, the eco-communities they form, and the vast habitats they inhabit. A mass extinction occurs when there is a significant decline in the percentage of our earth's biodiversity within a very short geological phase of time. We have had five mass extinctions down in our earth's history, but scientists argue that we are soon embarking on a sixth (Holocene Extinction). 

The truth is, we all depend on nature for survival, no matter where in the word we may live. And protecting the level of biodiversity on our planet is a prioritized global concern. Biodiversity provides humans with the basic raw materials needed for production, distribution, and consumption of goods. It maintains the stability, productivity, and relevance of our ecosystem and provides free services such as pure oxygen, fresh water, medicinal resources, waste detoxification, and climate regulation. One thing is for sure, as the strength of our natural resources diminishes, so does the quality of our lives.

The sixth mass extinction is not going to happen overnight. It could take millions of years before it transpires. With that being said, we don't have to accept this fate. Rubbing minds together, we can turn the tides of this fierce battle and make a perpetual difference. Here are three ways how.

Firstly, we must learn to abide by the 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Reducing means cutting back on the terrifying amount of waste materials that you generate. Go for reusable items over disposable ones, buy less and only what you need, and repair rather than replace. Reusing means reinventing old items that might have been considered useless, and finding new and creative ways to make them useful again. Recycling is the process of converting waste materials to create a new product. Combining these fundamental principles form an indestructible triangle that conserves natural resources, saves money and energy, reduces pollution, and sustains our environment for posterity. 

Deforestation has become an alarming concern over the past decade. Every second, a football field of forest disappears. The dire effects of this have materialized in the world around us today. Our survival and livelihood revolve around these verdant, beautiful creatures, and to some, it's home. So go ahead, plant a tree, go paperless, recycle, and help restore degraded forests. We need to strive in unity to preserve what we have left. 

Finally, we must join hands to raise awareness of the negative impacts of biodiversity loss on our planet. We don’t have to be members of the government to accomplish this. We can support government policies, local businesses and participate in programmes that aim to conserve our dear ecosystem and solve environmental issues. Start a community project like organizing a walkathon or starting your own community garden. Involve your friends, family members, neighbours and even your local government. Be creative, think BIG, and never forget your ultimate purpose.

Together, we must bring back long - lost biodiversity and secure a brighter future for the generations of tomorrow. Remember, through little things comes a big change. Big changes draw impact, and that impact can save our world.                                                       

It starts with you!