Ethanol-Based Renewable Fuel Solutions | Teen Ink

Ethanol-Based Renewable Fuel Solutions

Delta Airlines

Customer Care Department

Atlanta, GA 

Subject: Ethanol-Based Fuels

I am writing to bring the potential of ethanol fuels to your attention. During recent decades, the aviation industry has been under fire to reduce emissions and transfer into a cleaner industry. Over 40 international airlines, including Delta, have pledged net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 or sooner. I firmly believe that an ethanol based fuel could lead Delta Air Lines on this journey. Annually, Delta uses 4.5 billion gallons of aviation fuel. General aviation fuel, similar to that of Delta, has an octane rating of 100, while pure ethanol fuels sit around 112. This shows that if Delta would switch to ethanol fuels, they could use less fuel, but still have the same power due to ethanol’s octane and power-to-volume ratio. 

This solution could be more cost effective due to the fact that a gallon of basic aviation fuel was $3.04 in 2022 and ethanol was about $4 in 2022. Although pure ethanol is more expensive, it is also more powerful. 100% pure ethanol fuels can be nearly 40% more powerful and still help Delta Air Lines reach its goal of new-zero carbon emissions by 2050. Buying ethanol, a cleaner and more powerful alternative to aviation fuel, could reduce emissions on its own, without requiring airlines to purchase as many carbon emission offsets from third-party companies. 

Multiple airlines are attempting to transfer to sustainable aviation fuel, SAF, this fuel is currently 2 to 3 times more expensive than diesel aviation fuel and it is far too scarce in the industry and that may not change for years to come. Airlines are trying to cooperate with corporate suppliers to access SAF but most investors are too worried to invest billions of dollars into the start up of a new fuel that is more expensive and less powerful than fuels we have already tested and implemented. If Delta Air Lines were to wait for the implementation and growth of SAF, they would be unable to fulfill their pledge to the Paris Agreement of net-zero emissions by 2050 without a large financial burden of buying carbon offsets.

Delta Air Lines prizes itself with being one of America’s biggest airlines that provides thousands of Americans with jobs and transportation. Delta could expand this message to support the entire economy of the US by supporting ethanol production. Currently, the ethanol industry provides 73,000 Americans with jobs, according to the Renewable Fuels Association. Moving delta to ethanol fuels would support the industry domestically with more jobs and help America build the industry. This is because ethanol is produced almost entirely domestically in the midwest, near Delta’s hub airport, Atlanta International Airport.

Ethanol could be a large opportunity for Delta Air Lines to pursue their goal of net-zero emissions by 2050 while reducing the financial burden and supporting the American economy.

This piece is part of a multi-genre project in my English class. In this project, we are required to choose a topic and work with it to create works about the topic. These can include infographics, letters, videos, or reports. Of course, this was my letter portion of the project.