Operation Magna Carta | Teen Ink

Operation Magna Carta

By alli-sun SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
alli-sun SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey

"All art is quite useless." -Oscar Wilde

Warning: This is Confidential Material

Operation Magna Carta

Dear Mr. Chairman: I see now more than ever that it is in our best interests that I present to you a new project.

For centuries, paper has played a fundamental role in American activities. The very founding of the nation separate to that of the British Empire's was made official in Thomas Jefferson's famous document, the Declaration of Independence. Recently, however, the paper industry has done more harm than good.

Paper mills are collectively a threat to the people because of the negative impacts on the environment. Their malfeasance includes: relasing toxins into the air, emitting large amounts of carbon dioxide, utilization of an overabundance (is this a word?!) of water, drawing large amounts of electricity from public utilities, waste generation, deforestation, and political corruption. This creates a financial burden on the American people as well as a threat to a future way of living.

The project I am set upon proposing includes a list of products that will provide the ultimate solution, as well as a step-by-step process on how to initiate and popularize the products. These products cover a broad spectrum of functionality that effectively replaces paper in various aspects of an average citizen's life.

Let us start with the morning. Instead of walking to my driveway to retrieve my morning paper, I instead go to the family's public text-screen, which receives by satellite not only whichever paper I choose, but the phonebook, public school updates, etc. The interactive 8'' x 11'' touch screen allows me to zoom in on each document and read precisely what I want with my morning cup of coffee. Once finished, my wife can hang it on the wall next to the phone in the manner of a painting.

My two children have already left on the bus for school, however I see one of them took off carrying the backpack we'd used for the hiking trip instead of the academic backpack. It contiains solely two things: a writ-screen, structured like an 8'' x 11'' folder that contains two interior screens used for note-taking, and a text-screen, this time not owned by the family but by the school, containing the year's textbooks. The weight of the two objects combined are so light that it is no surprise that it was mistaken for a backpack containing an empty water bottle and an extra pair of socks. And so I drive down to the main office, asking the secretary to call my child down.

The secretary mentioned to me that my daughter's athletic form was submitted without my signature. Well, of course I had to sign it immediately or else my daughter would blame me for not being able to play soccer. And so I walk up to the writ-screen attached to the front of her desk, like that of any other public facility, and sign my name using the electronic pen she kindly provided, for I left mine in my suitcase.

For my lunch break, I'll go down to the company lunchroom, as usual, and while I'm passing by I notice an interesting poster on the postit-screen beside the entrance. As I'm reading the content and considering whether or not to ask my wife if we might attend, an intern asks me nervously, "Where can I find the manager? I need to put up a poster."

"Of course. Ask a cashier, and they'll call for the manager." In order to add your own poster to the batch, your must first ask the manager of the business, whether it be a cafe, restaurant, clothing store, etc. for the access code. The poster can then be copied from the advertiser's text-screen and pasted onto the the postit-screen. The postit-screen is then programmed when to delete the poster.

What highlights this project especially, however, is the manner in which it revolutionizes books. Literature is a fundamental beauty in life and cannot be taken away without seriously impacting society. Therefore, upon entering a library with my niece, I must describe the setting. Wall sectionals divide the area in a way that resembles shelves, however instead of walls they are enormous postit-screens containing a design for shelving books. Each design, whether for the children's, teen's, or adult's section, is sleek and organized. Not only does it pave the way for architectural creations, but saves space for crowded cities.

This particular visit to the library is special because I am assisting my niece in obtaining her first library card. Essentially a plastic 2'' x 2'' square, it is the bridge between her pink, studded text-screen and the library shelves. Pressing the library card into a slot allows for a certain book to be copied into the card, and the entire book is then pasted onto her text-screen. Though she has the power to delete the books from her text-screen herself, they are all automatically deleted after two weeks.

Upon returning home, I discover that my wife has once again changed the design setting for the family room library. Our very own postit-screens occupy the spaces on either side of the TV, and have gone from their "grey-ocean setting" to their "spring-refreshment setting." Perhaps I should stop convincing my wife to continually change the designs.

A day of paper conservation has ended with little effort on my part. Not only will the inventions described above reduce the harmful effects of paper production, but they will use wind and solar power for their batteries. They will ultimately be the start of a greener society, and our company's name will forever be in the books as the corporation that saved the world's forests.

Step 1. Acquire an efficient engineering team.

Step 2. Acquire an efficient design team.

Step 3. Begin production.

Step 4. Annihilate the paper mills. This can be carried out by legislation, therefore it is in our best interests to not only convince Congress but the people, and so--

Step 5. Publicize. Not only will we take advantage of online resources, but we will purposely avoid using paper at any costs to symbolize our commitment. Television news features, radio interviews, school assemblies, and museum/zoo exhibits. The latter focuses on children and their parents. Explaining to children how they can have their very own writ-screen and how it helps all the little animals, including live petting activities of endangered species, will increase awareness within families.

Step 6. Sell. Making our products available at drug stores, department stores, furniture stores, online, etc. is the last step to an effective operation.

Thank you for your time and consideration, Mr. Chairman