Environmental Ethics | Teen Ink

Environmental Ethics

Environmentalism is a concern for the preservation, restoration or improvement of the natural environment, such as the conservation of natural resources, prevention of pollution, and certain land use actions. A growing number of Christians are joining this belief in order to protect the environment in the name of God. Many see the world and its resources as some of God’s gifts to humankind; and through the years, theses supplies have been used up to the point of depletion. God trusted us with this beautiful, fruitful planet; however, we are taking it for granted. As being the stewards of the Earth, we as a people must rise together to help save our home. Issues such as global climate change, endangered species and mercury hazards to the unborn have become causes of tension between Christians in the last few years. The latter issue is very powerful, because it pertains to the threat of mercury, emitted by coal-burning power plants, to the unborn. After seeing what is wrong, several leaders have started to advocate their beliefs and begin campaigns. One example is the “What Would Jesus Drive?” campaign. The organization brings about awareness to global warming’s effects on the poor and their lifestyle. This large group of environmentalists advocates for stronger measures to protect the environment, based on biblical teachings of stewardship, helping the poor, and loving one’s neighbors. With active organizations, the environment, God’s gift to humanity, can be protected from future harm.

I completely agree with this article. The protection of the Earth is necessary in order for people to survive. Additionally, God calls us to be like “good stewards responsible for all the different gifts of God” (I Pet. 4:10-11). It is our duty to care for the Earth and the rest of God’s creation. Not only is it endangering humans, but also the animals we were chosen to care for. As Christians, we are called to be caretakers of God’s good creation, and with passion and determination, we can return our Earth to the fruitful, thriving planet it was meant to be.