My Simple Life | Teen Ink

My Simple Life

August 30, 2009
By Elizabeth Pina BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
Elizabeth Pina BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Both of my parents are the first generation in their families to graduate college. I was born into a family where college and a high paying job are, well, expected. My parents encouraged me to go to a magnet school in my area, and now, I go to a high school devoted to science and technology; my school was voted number one by U.S. News and World Report. When I came home after a summer working at a camp with the idea of becoming a farmer, the response my parents offered could mildly be described as stunned.
Instead of thinking about farming by its traditional reputation, which caused the number of agricultors in American to sharply decline, I think about agriculture as a way of life. Since ancient times humans ability to work with the land has been what caused some societies to thrive, and some to vanish. Since we consider our species to posses advanced intelligence, shouldn’t it be our responsibility to protect the earth we know is the key to survival? Instead of pursuing a life of working hard to relax later in life, I have decided to seek the simple life.
Instead of focusing all of my effort on learning from books, and planning years of studying post high school, I’m centering my thoughts on returning to nature. I’m breaking free of what society is trying to convince me is the golden American dream life. I want a life where limitations make creativity limitless.