A Simple Solution | Teen Ink

A Simple Solution

Our everlasting sources of wood, which are produced by both the forests and rainforests, are diminishing by the second to the hands of greedy-selfish-rich men. The destruction of these rainforest is mainly due to economic problems. By allowing the companies to take the lumber some of the government debt is paid off and families can earn some money. This is because after the lumber is harvested, the land is worth $400 per acre, and before the lumber is harvested the land is only worth $60 per acre. But there is a major factor that government and landowners left out while letting the companies clear the rainforest; the renewable materials in the rainforest such as nuts, fruits, medical plants, and others. If these renewable resources are harvested the land can produce approximately $2,400 every time these resources are collected (http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm). If the rainforest destruction is not stopped, many will be destroyed. The extinction of the animals, plants, birds, and insects pose a threat to us because if one species goes extinct it will lead to the downfall of many. We have the power to stop rainforest destruction by controlling our consumptions of paper and beef.

The consumption of paper plays a major roll in the logging companies’ agenda. If the demand for paper is high then the logging companies will continue to destructively chop more trees which will cause great destruction to the rainforest. But that’s why there is recycling. Recycling can reduce the destructive log cutting because it will allow us to reuse the paper which will reduce the demand for new paper. By reducing the demand for newly made paper, logging done by the companies will also be reduced. On a personal note I notice that recycling is a problem for my high school! A lot of people tend to throw random trash into the recycle bin and throw paper into the trash bin. They may not know it, but they are helping destroy the rainforest. They can help by just throwing their trash into the right garbage bin! You can also help by not eating as much beef.

You may wonder what eating beef has to do with the destruction of the rainforest. That’s nuts you may think! Well it’s not; by consuming beef you are raising the demand for beef. Ever wonder where they get all that space for cattle? Cattle are raised in rainforests that have been razed and turn into pasture! According to http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/reports/beyond. html#3 some 40,000 square miles of Amazon rainforest were cleared for cattle ranching and other commercial development between 1966 and 1983. Brazil estimates that 38 percent of its rainforest was destroyed for cattle pasture. So stop eating beef and help save the rainforest from total destruction!

Why help destroy your own future generation? Why let other people destroy your future generation? Why not help stop the destruction of rainforests by simply reducing the consumption of beef and paper? If we are able to help save the rainforests from destruction by just consuming less of both of these, why not do it? If you are one of those people are eating away the rainforest, you need to eat less beef and start recycling. Don’t like recycling? Just do it! Unless you want a faster death.