Autumn Leaves | Teen Ink

Autumn Leaves

As I stepped outside of my restrained, suffocating and over-powering room, an immediate change fell over me. I no longer felt controlled; but, rather, I felt as if I could start life anew. I could smell that crisp smell of the autumn leaves. The breeze felt cold as it touched my skin, yet deep inside, I was warm. I had found a place where I could be alone for once and just enjoy a quiet, peaceful time, away from all the chaos. The birds were singing, creating tranquil music with a certain harmonic tune.
As I looked around, a spot under a tree seemed comfortable. Upon sitting down, I heard the crunching of leaves under me. I noticed that the leaves were in all various colors, sizes and shapes. As I closed my eyes, I felt a little plop, as light as a feather, upon my head. A fiery orange leaf had fallen on my head. I picked it up and looked at it. It was soft and had little veins. The bright color made me energetic and I wanted to find more of its kind. But, instead, I decided to remain seated and I hoped that they would come to me.
Nature had a way of its own, dependent on its surroundings, making it even more beautiful. The trees bent in such a way, offering the viewer such tranquil moments. I saw the yellows, greens, purples, reds and oranges all around me. The yellows were all in a cluster, yet they had a certain beauty to them. The sun was shining, emphasizing the radiant colors of autumn.
Because I was under a tree, I did not feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. The sky was merely a reflection of water. It was bright blue, with white, puffy clouds swimming around. Each cloud resembled something different. I think I may have even seen my own face in there, a bit distorted. Suddenly, the breeze got stronger, hard on my skin. I saw the leaves rustling in the wind, flying in all different directions; some towards me, some away from me. From a distance, I could see a pile of leaves, accumulating every second. A few feet away from where I was sitting, a small, cute tree swayed back and forth. The leaves were mostly still green, but the yellow was starting to peep through. Soon, everything would be colorful, changing in its own little way.
Suddenly, the peaceful moment ended, and I heard a familiar voice. My brother came out on the porch and was yelling my name. I got up, but did not forget to look back one more time at the serene surroundings around me.