Animal Cruelty Must Stop | Teen Ink

Animal Cruelty Must Stop MAG

February 12, 2009
By jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss


Every day in the United States animals are beaten, neglected, or forced to struggle for survival. Left in unsanitary conditions with no food or water, they have little hope as they live out their days without the compassion they deserve. Some are found and rescued, given the chance to experience how great life and humans can be; others aren't so lucky. To grow as a nation, we must fight for these abused animals' rights and severely punish heartless owners. It is up to us to speak for these creatures who lack a voice, for who will if we don't?

One of the first steps in protecting animals and ­creating effective cruelty laws is knowing what animal cruelty actually is. There are two categories: passive cruelty and active cruelty. The first ­involves acts of omission, meaning the abuse happens as a result of neglect or lack of action. Passive cruelty might seem less serious, but that is not the case; it can lead to terrible pain and suffering, and ultimately death. Examples include starvation, dehydration, untreated parasite infestations, inadequate shelter in extreme weather conditions, and the failure to get medical care. Passive cruelty is sometimes due to the owner's ignorance, so many animal control officers will first try to educate neglectful owners on how to properly care for animals before giving them a citation or placing them under arrest.

Active cruelty, on the other hand, is more well known and disturbing. Sometimes referred to as non-accidental injury, this type of abuse involves purposefully inflicting harm on an animal in order to feel more powerful or gain control. Active cruelty against animals should be taken very seriously, since it can be a sign that a person has serious psychological issues and may commit more acts of violence – possibly against humans.

It is hard to tell just what drives people to harm innocent animals. “According to a 1997 study done by the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Northeastern University, animal abusers are five times more likely to commit violent crimes against people and four times more likely to commit property crimes than are individuals without a history of animal abuse,” says Pet-abuse.com. It is vital to report people who hurt animals. Most animal abusers find some sort of fulfillment or power in torturing a victim they know can't fight back, which is why crimes like rape and child molestation are committed. While not all animal abusers become serial killers or rapists, it is important to take every case seriously.

For example, Carroll Edward Cole was a West Coast serial killer who may have murdered as many as 35 women in the 1970s and ྌs, and was executed in 1985. Based on Cole's testimony, his first violent act was strangling a puppy. The Columbine school shooting is another example of animal abuse as a precursor to human violence. Before killing 12 classmates and then turning the guns on themselves, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebod had bragged to friends about mutilating animals. If these acts had been reported to authorities and taken seriously, these two young men might have been put in a proper facility and helped, possibly avoiding the horrific massacre.

Given these examples, it's hard to imagine why all states don't take animal cruelty seriously. Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, North Dakota, and South Dakota have no felony provisions for cruelty to animals. According to the Humane Society, a good felony anticruelty law should protect all animals, apply to first-time offenders, carry large fines and lengthy prison time, have no exemptions, require convicted abusers to get counseling at their own expense, and prohibit abusers from owning or living among animals. Along with these laws we need officials who will strongly enforce them. Police, psychologists, and even the FBI recognize the link between animal cruelty and violence against people. To better protect communities, all states should institute strong penalties and work to increase public awareness of these crimes.

It's not only up to the legal system to ensure that communities across the country are aware and educated about animal cruelty. There are plenty of things everyday citizens can do. The simplest action is for people to take care of their own pets and learn the facts so they can educate others on proper animal care. Another easy way to help is by donating to or volunteering at a local animal shelter. Contrary to popular belief, volunteering doesn't require a lot of time; simply going in a few hours a week helps tremendously. Finally, by writing letters you can remind your local lawmakers that animal abuse is a real problem that needs to be addressed. Taking a few minutes to support this worthy cause not only helps animals, it allows you to feel proud about standing up for something so important to society.

It is our job to be the voice for creatures who cannot speak up for themselves. As a nation we need to make it our priority to come together and ensure the safety of our beloved pets. As Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”


The author's comments:
I wrote this paper as an assignment for my english class, and feel very strongly about the issue of animal cruelty.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 213 comments.


on Nov. 3 2010 at 5:30 pm
AlphaOmega512 BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments
In America? Animal abuse should stop around the world for numerous reasons. First up, it's wrong. How can people manage to be so cruel to animals? They've never done anything to us, so why be mean to them? Secondly, animals are just as much as a person as we are. They have a life, they have a future, and it relies on us, yet we let them down continuously. It pains me to see such abuse happen like this. In the chapter of Genesis of the Bible, man and animal got along perfectly well until sin entered our life. Sure, there may be temptations and stuff of the such, but none of them should lead to something such as animal abuse.

308JJT BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 11:13 am
308JJT BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
This author is absolutely correct-- animal cruelty needs to stop. When the author said,"Every day in the United States animals are beaten, neglected, or forced to struggle for survival" made me feel sorry as a human being because the animals need our help they can't do things on their own. The animals need our help without our help they can't make it in life. I wish that every human being can read this and feel the way i feel about this. Maybe just maybe animal cruelty would stop in America.

on Oct. 27 2010 at 3:01 pm

Animal abuse is a huge problem, and it amazes me when others don't think so. How can someone look at an animal- really look at one- and  truly want to cause it pain? I really don't know, and it's actually sad that some people feel like that.

Great, well-researched article- keep up the good work!


on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:36 am
guardian_angel BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments
This article is great for raising attention for animal cruelty. I agree completely with everything you said. This article can help people see that animal abuse is not a little thing, and it can add up to be bigger crimes.

wlj611 said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 2:28 pm
wlj611, Plaquemine, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This article is a great way to inspire people to stop animal cruelty. Animal abuse is heartless. Some people treat their animals as a part of their family. Being cruel to animals for no reason makes no sense, and it needs to stop. This article persuades people to not be cruel with animals.

Cmg6604 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 2:09 pm
Cmg6604 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments
I agree with this article. Animal abuse is a horrible crime and should be brought to a halt. I have a dog and we treat our dog like he is in the family. I play with my dog every day and I would never think of abusing him. People that abuse animals are people that do not deserve to live on this earth. 

dml6609 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 2:08 pm
dml6609 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 5 comments
This article is an excellent way for people to realize the importance of animal cruelty. I hate seeing animals being neglected and mistreated. I have a house full of animals at home. This makes me want to care for animals even more. This article persuades readers to help animals who have no voice. I love the line that says we are the voice of the animals. We are their only hope.

bnj111 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 9:22 am
bnj111 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
This article is an amazing way to inspire people to stop animal cruelty. How can animal cruelty be stopped if we do nothing? This article not only made me think, but pushed me to get out there and start doing something about it. It is intriguing to me how you managed to persuade people in this article. Even if someone does not care about animal abuse, they can see from this article that animal abusers can turn into murders and rapists. I completely agree with all of the points you have made and hope that this will cause more action in helping animals. 

on Oct. 26 2010 at 8:56 am
Kara_Hikaru SILVER, Plaquemine, Louisiana
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live your life like you want to, because the people who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."~ Unknown

I completely agree with this article. I believe that animal abuse is disgusting and heartless. The people being the abusers must be punished. My family treats our dog as if she was one of our family. Imagine if the animals getting abused were kids and people with hearts. They're living creatures and breath and think just like us. 

Iiiiiiii said...
on Oct. 16 2010 at 8:30 pm
SOME ANIMALS (LIKE CLAMS) HAVE NO THOUGHTS. PERIOD. EVEN THE ONES WITH MORE SELF AWARENESS DO NOT THINK LIKE WE DO.

JJGG said...
on Oct. 16 2010 at 8:26 pm
In my opinion, it depends, on the animal involved. Animals like Dolphins have been shown to be aware and displeased with captivity. Others, like many types of herd animals, seem not to care one way or another (many aren't even aware that they are captive).

jazz said...
on Sep. 15 2010 at 7:46 am

i dont think its right that you speak apon what somebody else think about animal cruelty i think its sad to hear what people do to animals too but have we let the people who hurt god animals speak we never know the truth unless it omes from the source mouth so let them talk

 


_Bell_ said...
on Aug. 20 2010 at 3:45 pm
_Bell_, Ukiah, California
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
...

I agree with this passage. Animal cruelty is very bad. Animals are human beings just like we are. They Have feelings and emotions as do we. Like the saying goes respect those how you want to be respected. I can just wonder why many animals attack human beings, since they also have very good sences much better than we will ever have. "Active cruelty against animals should be taken very seriously, since it can be a sign that a person has serious psychological issues..." This being stated is true once your agressive you feel in power. Everyone loves feeling powerfull than others, but than you just strive to feel more power and go do other bad things.

on Aug. 7 2010 at 4:12 pm
InsaneKitten BRONZE, Miami, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Even shadows need light..... "Melissa Marr, Ink Exchange" :D

uuum well this is just my opinion but its hard to feel compassion to a lower species..... I mean we eat meat, chicken. and fish..... It's hard for many people to take it seriously and with the tiny attention span of the public eye. But also theres the seed of guilt and the tiny part in r soul called compassion that helps us feel for the poor creatures. After all they have feelings too..... I'm not saying animal cruelty is alright im just saying the nation lacks the motivation to do anything bout it....but ur words inspired many so i guess we're taking baby steps :3

on Jul. 12 2010 at 7:26 pm
jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

That is certainly a wonderful saying, and so very true!

on Jul. 12 2010 at 12:49 pm

Thank You Jenny. I love the saying by

Mahatma Ghandi:

'The greatness of a nation and its moral progresscan be judged by the ways its animals are treated"


on Jul. 12 2010 at 12:23 pm
jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Well thank you for taking the time to read it! When I wrote this essay and had to talk about it to the class, I was thrilled when everyone showed a real interest in it and really wanted to help.

on Jul. 12 2010 at 12:22 pm
jennyxleigh BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

I will definitely check it out!

on Jul. 12 2010 at 5:33 am
This is an excellent article.  Thank you for taking the time to care and write.  Thank God that there seem to be more young people who are aware of this ever growing societal problem and are taking steps to end this!

on Jul. 1 2010 at 8:41 pm
haventy0uheard PLATINUM, Kings Park, New York
28 articles 0 photos 186 comments
You brought up some really important points here..animal cruelty is a serious issue and people should take it more seriously. it makes me so sad to think of those poor creatures being tortured :'[ my poem "Should a Heart Make Exceptions?" deals with the same topic, read it if you want