Climate Change | Teen Ink

Climate Change

By rmukwa BRONZE, Portage, Michigan
rmukwa BRONZE, Portage, Michigan

Politics, They make up our everyday life: from having the ability to go to the grocery store  and buy foods of our choice, to being able to vote or go to college. As told by a podcast I once listened to. Everything is political but not everything is partisan. A statement that has helped me understand the current political climate. One of the most daunting political issues that I find most important is climate change. Over the past 40 years since the EPA was formed by president Richard Nixon. We as a country have tried to find new ways to help the environment. One of the most important in 2015 the paris accord. Which was an agreement that is a way for countries to agree to lower their carbon emissions in order to help protect the planet. It was a big step on the path of preventing an irreversible global trends including the rising of oceans, higher temperatures especially in tropical regions, heat waves, and a change in growing seasons for different crops. However this current administration has removed the united states the country with the 2nd highest emission of carbon and greenhouse gasses from the paris accord. This was done with the idea that more carbon emissions and fewer regulations will lead to  more jobs. and while this may be true, what does it matter if there are more jobs, if we are destroying the planet we live on in the process. Environmental issues are very important to me as I have grown up in a world where we are beginning to see the effects of climate change. Extreme drought and heat in some regions as well as higher flooding and a changing ecosystem are all ways we can see climate change today even compared to a 100 years ago the change is drastic. The issue of climate change may seem like a big daunting task. How can one person save the entire planet. It does not help that powerful politicians the leaders of our country seem to turn a blind eye to climate change and pretend as though the 97% of scientist who believe climate change is real and 90% who believe that it is a manmade problem are doing so for personal gain. In an effort to continue deregulating companies, many of the climate change skeptics will hurt their family, children, and the next generation that will have to deal with the decisions that they have made. That is why fighting for regulation and preventing climate change is of the utmost importance. It gives us a chance to leave our mark on the world as one of good and protection and it is why we must continue to fight to save the planet.

I was inspired to write this piece because I have grown up in a world where we are already beginning to see the effects of climate change, for instance, 10 of the hottest years in earth written history have been after 2000. And it is particularly frustrating that the current administration does not see the importance of seeing the validity of climate change and making efforts to combat that.I already have made personal changes to combatting climate change like cutting out meat and changing the way of transportation. and If every American can do little things we can make a big step. but even more importantly I hope people will see climate change and its importance, And call their representatives, volunteer for environmental non-for profits, and work to make sure the government sees that its people find climate change of the utmost importance. And that they need to as well.